Recommendation for (1) daytime and (2) day/night camera? (adding to existing fleet of IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have several Dahaus for general day/night use around the property; these are a couple years old, model: IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.
They work well.

But now I want to know what would be the best option today for:

(1) daytime only use for by the road: want to be able to read licence plates on vehicles passing by (but not specifically an LPR), and see people riding/walking by. (night performance is a don't care).
I assume a higher megapixel camera would be good option here?

(2) day/night use: more general purpose units like my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.
Is there something newer that will perform better?

I am looking for units in the general price range of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (say .75x to 2x range).

It gets hard to keep up with all the different models!
Can someone make a recommendation?
(Doesn't have to be Dahua if there is something else worth considering.)

TIA!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In terms of LPR, even during the day, it's more of a function of focal length versus range than resolution, once you get to 2MP anyway. For low light situations, or even great daytime performance, the 5442 series, 4MP, is the model that has replaced the 5231. A varifocal was just released and there should be reviews posted here by the end of the month, or sooner, depending on shipping and time for the reviewers to test them.

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check out this on youtube by intermit.tech.
Also check out bigredfish videos on youtube on loryta (dahua) b5442 bullet cams.