Recommendation for a new Router

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for a Recommendation for a new Router, I have ASUS RT-AC86U with asuswrt-merlin but Sometimes it crashes, I am still working to find a solution for these issues.

So I think is time to find a better solution for my home, below you can find my actual configuration, I hope you folks could give some good recommendations.

Xfinity Xfi Cable Modem(CGM4141COX)->ASUS RT-AC86U->HP 2620-24-PPoEP Switch (J9624A)->ASUS RT-AC86U(repeater for 2 Floor)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use an RT-AC86U as well. Have used it on both Comcast and now on FiOS. It's been running flawlessly on Asus stock firmware, updated, and never had a crash at all. My guess is you have a defective one or the firmware flash didn't work exactly right.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also have a Asus RT-AC87U

I have 11 ip cameras wired and 1 ip camera wifi, and the 3mp wifi video door bell from nellyssecurity, and 3 wifi wyze cams.
With that said i never had a problem with my wireless router or my cable modem witch was a arris 6190 (with xfinity) , but i notice some drops on the Blueiris on the wifi ip cam and the wifi video door bell, the video stream goes out and then 5 sec. later comes back.
Now reading about arris 6190 that they may have a bad chip i was thinking that my internet is dropping because of that so i went ahead and purchased the Netgear cm1100 cable modem from costco and looks that all stabilized but i think i still seen some drop of the stream at the2 wifi cams here and there.
So i am thinking maybe to add a wifi mesh system to my network like the tp-link deco m9 to extend the wifi signal downstairs so the wifi can and wifi door bell not to have any drop out's .

But Now just makes me think if my asus wireless router getting old or ?... i think is 5+ years old i think.

Let me know in what direction you went...

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine has been pretty rock solid too. Certainly possible to have an issue but more likely related to the non-standard firmware. Have you asked on the forum?

At least when I was using it, the guy seemed very responsive to helping with such things if you could provide logs, etc.

Or as above, go back to stock and see how it does. If you want something different that's a step up in some ways look at the Ubiquiti line of products.

s5n

n3wb
Reaction score
Can't give you a good recommendation, because it really depends on your requirements. But before looking for a new router, I would try to find the error because Asuswrt-Merlin is a third party alternative firmware. That means looking for the error log and or check if there is a new version of it. Because if you can isolate your crash, maybe there is a fix already. Btw. asuswrt-merlin looks really nice.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The router in my network configuration is an EdgeRouter-X. Through this router paired with a Cisco switch, I have 8 separate VLANs set up. I have come to love this router and the flexibility and options that it offers. I am a networking noob, but by going to YouTube, I found a channel named CrossTalk Solutions that offers a complete series of videos from a Ubiquiti trainer. This trainer goes through a complete set up to include firewalls and VLANs.

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is your router located as such to have plenty of air flow. They do run rather warm, and it could be over heating.
Installed in a conditioned space?
Have you set it back to factory defaults, and set it backup from scratch?
Mine runs flawlessly.
View attachment 78073
Have you set it back to factory defaults, and set it backup from scratch? I will do this.

Router is located in my basement, here is cold,

1611086150744.png

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine has been pretty rock solid too. Certainly possible to have an issue but more likely related to the non-standard firmware. Have you asked on the forum?

At least when I was using it, the guy seemed very responsive to helping with such things if you could provide logs, etc.

Or as above, go back to stock and see how it does. If you want something different that's a step up in some ways look at the Ubiquiti line of products.
Next time when I have a problem I will send my log to the community.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you really end up wanting to switch routers, I would recommend you check out pfSense or Opnsense. These router/firewall software options are both free and open source (although pfSense does have closed source and paid versions now in addition to the free version). The features and capabilities of something like pfSense or OPNsense are light years ahead of any consumer grade router which is why I would recommend it. You can download the software and install it on a wide range of hardware devices or you can even run it virtually. Personally I use an old HP T620+ thin client which I bought off eBay. You need something with multiple network connections (at least two - for WAN and LAN). I threw in a 4 port Intel network card in the PCI slot and never looked back.

There are plenty of "how to" guides and/or YouTube videos available that will walk through everything from setting one up as a newbie, to more advanced features. So "knowledge" (or lack thereof) shouldn't be a reason not to try it.

Reaction score
Asus RT-AC86U running Asus 3.0.0.4.386_48260 firmware in use here. Spectrum cable internet. Before that, TM-AC1900 (Asus) router running DD-WRT. @The Automation Guy offers good advice, you can run pfSense or OpnSense router/firewall software on a lightweight x86 thin client type device. Otherwise, I'm a long-time fan of Asus routers.

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you really end up wanting to switch routers, I would recommend you check out pfSense or Opnsense. These router/firewall software options are both free and open source (although pfSense does have closed source and paid versions now in addition to the free version). The features and capabilities of something like pfSense or OPNsense are light years ahead of any consumer grade router which is why I would recommend it. You can download the software and install it on a wide range of hardware devices or you can even run it virtually. Personally I use an old HP T620+ thin client which I bought off eBay. You need something with multiple network connections (at least two - for WAN and LAN). I threw in a 4 port Intel network card in the PCI slot and never looked back.

There are plenty of "how to" guides and/or YouTube videos available that will walk through everything from setting one up as a newbie, to more advanced features. So "knowledge" (or lack thereof) shouldn't be a reason not to try it.
This is what I'm doing. Opnsense on an old Lenovo thinkcentre with a 4-port Intel NIC installed. I then installed a second NIC on my BI pc that the cameras are connected to. The other port connects to my opnsense router. This way the constant cam activity isn't flowing through my router & switches AND it isolates the cams from the internet.

On opnsense I created a VPN to connect to the BI machine. Any remote access is either thru the BI web server or Remote Desktop.

If using opnsense, I've gotten lots of good tutorials from "the home network guy" website - I couldn't have figured out certificates and VPN without his guidance.