Recommendation for an upgrade from SD49225T-HN

Reaction score
My Dahua SD49225T-HN has been a workhorse in my camera system, but in the last few weeks it has become unreliable, with reboots and freezes every couple of days. I can power cycle it and bring it back to life, but it never lasts. I've tried downgrading the firmware, which helped somewhat, but I'm still seeing bizarre behavior such as distorted menus when I log in to the web browser (i.e. Login becomes com.Login, etc.).

So ... I'm guessing there is some sort of internal memory corruption that is behind this. Regardless, I need a replacement for the camera.

The question is this, to those who may be more knowledgeable about the Dahua camera line: is there a newer PTZ camera version that I should consider to replace the SD49225T-HN, with similar or better specs? I don't mind spending a little more money on the replacement camera, but I would like something with a similar form factor. Also note that auto-tracking is not something that I care about.

Any recommendations, or is another SD49225T-HN my best bet?

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
The Dahua catalog might be a good place to start. :)
PTZ's camera start on page 32...It might help you pick out a few contenders.

Attachments

Reaction score
The Dahua catalog might be a good place to start. :)
PTZ's camera start on page 32...It might help you pick out a few contenders.
I've already browsed through the approximately four dozen different PTZ models (without pricing information, of course) on the Dahua site. But what I'm looking for is a recommendation from someone who is using one of them, at a price point that is not out of line with what I paid for the SD49225T-HN.

Is there another model worth considering in terms of price vs. performance over the SD49225T-HN?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Dahua SD49225T-HN has been a workhorse in my camera system, but in the last few weeks it has become unreliable, with reboots and freezes every couple of days. I can power cycle it and bring it back to life, but it never lasts. I've tried downgrading the firmware, which helped somewhat, but I'm still seeing bizarre behavior such as distorted menus when I log in to the web browser (i.e. Login becomes com.Login, etc.).

So ... I'm guessing there is some sort of internal memory corruption that is behind this. Regardless, I need a replacement for the camera.

The question is this, to those who may be more knowledgeable about the Dahua camera line: is there a newer PTZ camera version that I should consider to replace the SD49225T-HN, with similar or better specs? I don't mind spending a little more money on the replacement camera, but I would like something with a similar form factor. Also note that auto-tracking is not something that I care about.

Any recommendations, or is another SD49225T-HN my best bet?
Have you performed a hard reset with the factory defaults button?

Reaction score
Have you performed a hard reset with the factory defaults button?
If you mean the factory reset via the web interface, I have. I'm waiting to see if that resolves the erratic behavior. If not, I intend to upgrade or replace the camera, hence this thread.

I know there's also a reset switch inside the camera that is accessible via the removable back panel. I may also give that a shot if I can find the procedure for it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you mean the factory reset via the web interface, I have. I'm waiting to see if that resolves the erratic behavior. If not, I intend to upgrade or replace the camera, hence this thread.

I know there's also a reset switch inside the camera that is accessible via the removable back panel. I may also give that a shot if I can find the procedure for it.
Press and hold for at least 30 seconds.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The same happened on my 59225 even down to the same strange interface issues - I took it down and recrimped the cabling at the camera end and it's been perfect ever since so hopefully yours will be similar and you won't need the spend just yet.

It was passing cable tests as was, but after removing, recrimping and reseating everything it was all ok. Take the time to give the lens a go.

I took the time to crack the camera open to check for pinched cables inside and couldn't see any issues at all and it's been fine since remounting for months now.

If that works great, you saved a stack of money.

Last edited:

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Purchasing a new camera should be the last resort. My 59225, sometimes is "looking" at weird stuff, but most of the time it works great.

Reaction score
Purchasing a new camera should be the last resort.
I don't disagree, but reliability in my camera system is paramount to me. My other Dahua cameras are as solid as rocks, but my 49225 is no longer dependable. I hate it when I check my camera footage from the night before and see that it quit working, without explanation, for several hours. If the factory reset doesn't fix it, I'll buy a different, newer camera to replace it. Money is not the issue for me. It's having a system I can depend upon.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
If money is not the issue than: DS-2DF8225IX-AEL(W) 2MP 25× Network IR Speed Dome-Hikvision

I have one and it works great. Here is a night view that you can read license plates of parked vehicles. I also attached a day time view. Look at the detail in the background in the night view versus to the day view. It is pretty good. WARNING! This camera is bigger than the Dahua PTZ.

Street Sign 4K.jpg LPR 2 North.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I forgot that I have a picture from my old SD49225T-HN. Here it is for comparison. Obviously I replaced the camera with the above Hikvison PTZ.

Old Dahua 6F.jpg

Last edited:

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Parley, where do you have the door cam? I'm struggling, with my wedge cam's placement. Behind the subject, is sunlight and hard to see clearly the subject's face.
Sorry to be off topic.
Timothy, what you will be doing with this cam?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
It cannot be scene in the above photo. It does face North so sunlight is not an issue. I will try to take a picture later on today. Also it works great in both the daytime and night time.

Reaction score
Timothy, what you will be doing with this cam?
My SD49225T-HN does double duty. During the day it focuses down the road and acts as a backup LPR camera for situations where a parked car blocks one of my other LPR cameras.

At night it swings around and zooms in to monitor my parked car, just in case some door-checker tries to break in. I've posted some pretty high-quality Nextdoor images of various miscreants checking the locks over the months, although the police have done next to nothing to catch them (no crime, therefore no priority). But my neighbors appreciate the effort.

One thing I've given some thought to has been upgrading the 49225 to one of the new Dahua "Color Starlight" cameras. Clearly the Hikvision camera is in the same league.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a quick deviation from the thread. Here is my front door camera as asked for above. Also a current view from the camera.

Front Door Camera.JPG Front Door Camera View.jpg

Last edited:

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are lucky, that you have that long path. I have a porch. Thanks for the pics.

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What did you end up going with for a replacement? My SD49225T-HN won't get an IP address. Just took it off the house, reset button hasn't helped. If I squeeze the cable (that's integral to the camera), I will sometimes get a ping back from the camera, so I think the thick cable at the top of the camera has a break inside about 1/2" off the top of the camera. It's over 3 years old so I was thinking of just replacing it rather than trying to repair the cable with only a 1/2" of possible good cable.

Reaction score
I wound up keeping my SD49225T-HN. What I found was that forcing an automatic re-boot every 24 hours was leading to more failures with this particular camera. I turned off the auto reboot feature, and now only reboot it when it fails, which is about once a month. As long as I keep an eye on the feed, I'm good.

At some point I do intend to upgrade, but I will wait until COVID-19 is over and the supply chains in Asia recover. Dahua has been spinning its wheels lately with product upgrades, in my opinion. I think they're currently limited in what they can do with the components they have access to.