Recommendation for good/cheap mini camera?

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a cheap Revotech mini camera (i706-POE-HS-4MP, roughly 2"x"2) and so far I'm not impressed. The video signal locks up every minute or two and I end up getting a "No Signal" message but then it goes back to working again. $35 experiment, I guess. Unless there's some setting I can tweak other than what I did to minimize demands on the camera (settings in camera: no on-camera storage, no audio, main and substreams with substream very low rez, no trigger, no snapshots).

It doesn't instill a lot of confidence. I need something reliable and inconspicuous I can put right at eye level at our front door to face I.D. shoplifters as they exit.

What's a better quality and is a good value? (Not working = zero value!!)

Thanks!
Andrew

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, and I might resort to those, though I'm looking for something even smaller and less conspicuous that would be hard to bump if mounted at eye level to a door frame.

Andrew

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Well i cannot attest to the performance of any other IP product in Mini cams. i have two of these running on a commercial property. for about 2-3 years. still going.
I had a revodata mini like yours previously but it was an Analog version. worked fine, but that is not Apples to Apples comparison.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, and I might resort to those, though I'm looking for something even smaller and less conspicuous that would be hard to bump if mounted at eye level to a door frame.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I originally was looking for a small camera also for my front door .. I ended up instead using the mini-dome wedge style camera and it worked very well for me, and I accepted that it is OK to have a camera on my front door after having issues with delinquents

Honestly, I would go with the mini-dome wedge model again .. good model ..

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI - as I know website drop pages .. this is for future reference here .. ( not certain if eggsan is talking about the 960P .. I'd look at the 1080P models )

View attachment 163446

View attachment 163447
View attachment 163448
Only the 1080 model. If you only need the boards + lens mount (no metal case), same CamHi app

US $30.91 8% Off | 1/2.8" 8.0MP IMX415 Sensor Mini WIFI 3G 4K 4G Camera Network Kamera Module 8MP 5MP 2MP IP Camera CCTV Video Audio Camhi

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

I finally had success getting this Revotech i706-POE-HS04MP camera to work correctly with Blue Iris after I changed the codec from the default of H.265 to H.264. Since then, the camera has not dropped the signal. A bit of hassle to troubleshoot, but now it looks like a good bargain. About $35, 4MP with a solid number of settings including iFrame and NTP server settings.

Andrew

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Good job. Thanks for sharing your research and development with the group.
We can no go forth and shout H264! motherfucker! at the next Revotech framedropper freeze up dude.
Hell,,, I may have to try one myself.