Recommendation for Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I + DS-7608NI-K2/8P

tomvan

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a set of about five security IP cameras.
The cameras will install in the garden a maximum coverage of each camera 15 meters.
I thought about the following items:
1. Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I 8MP H.265+ POE CCTV Network Security Camera 30m IR Range Dome IP Camera - $136.74
Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2/8P H.265 8MP 4K Embedded Plug & Play NVR with 8 Megapixels 8 POE Ports Network Video Recorder - $240.24

I would be happy to accept your recommendations
Would you replace one of the products to another within the same budget?
Will cat6 cable be suitable for this system?

Thanks

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't get fixated with high camera mega-pixels. The 2MP Dahua starlight cameras will be more then sufficient to meet your needs and will provide outstanding night vision.

Last edited:

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The K series NVRs are lower specifications NVRs than the I series. I was told this officially from the HIK support.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
As Q says don’t waste your money on trying to get 5 8mp cameras to run of that nvr it won’t work I have five of them sitting in a box.
Just got my brother a Dahua system with starlight turrets 4-12mm zoom
From Andy at empire best service and fast delivery to Australia
Do your self a favour research the starlight series you will be very surprised
I was.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 8MP camera gives a nice daytime image. I find the nighttime image acceptable, but, others who push the Starlights will disagree (you will find on this forum people are very religious about their camera choices, much like the Apple-vs-Microsoft OS forum wars).

However, if you go in the 8MP direction, rather than using an NVR to gather the streams and record them to disk, I recommend that you decentralize your recording and let the cameras themselves record their streams to a NAS device. Reason being, you're going to run into performance bottlenecks with the NVR attempting to decode that many 8MP streams. By using the camera's on-board ability to record its stream to a NAS, you effective leverage the computing/decoding power of the cameras (which is already encoding the data into the stream and just dumping it to a NAS).

Even Hikvision's own PC-based NVR program chokes hideously on i7-7xxx+ hardware when you start to get 5+ cameras

Last edited:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
The 8MP camera gives a nice daytime image. I find the nighttime image acceptable, but, others who push the Starlights will disagree (you will find on this forum people are very religious about their camera choices, much like the Apple-vs-Microsoft OS forum wars).

However, if you go in the 8MP direction, rather than using an NVR to gather the streams and record them to disk, I recommend that you decentralize your recording and let the cameras themselves record their streams to a NAS device. Reason being, you're going to run into performance bottlenecks with the NAS attempting to decode that many 8MP streams. By using the camera's on-board ability to record its stream to a NAS, you effective leverage the computing/decoding power of the cameras (which is already encoding the data into the stream and just dumping it to a NAS).

Even Hikvision's own PC-based NVR program chokes hideously on i7-7xxx+ hardware when you start to get 5+ cameras
Just get one camera the Sony SNC-VB770 FIXED 4K BOX CAMERA
Awesome day time image and who needs lights at night
And picture in picture :love: Price :wtf:

bobbehrooz

n3wb
Reaction score
Tolting Colt Acres, I am considering buying 5 x 8MP Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I and feed the video stream to Blue-Iris, for motion detection and sending alert email. You don't think this may work with the new h265+ encoding and PC running Blue-Iris can not keep up? Alternately, if cameras are set-up to detect motion and record their streams to NAS then it is my understanding that there will be no alert email. Is there any form of notification possible?

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fenderman can speak to the features of BI better than I can.

BI maxes out somewhere around 700 mp/sec, so depending on how your cameras are configured, you may crush your system.

I use the camera's on-board motion detection, each of my cameras has excess CPU cycles to spare, so why burden a centralized server with that type of processing.

bobbehrooz

n3wb
Reaction score
Tolting Colt Acres,
thank you for the warning. I realize I should not just chase MP. Which EXIR Turret camera do you recommend? I plan to mount 5 outside the front and side of my home, along side walls and under eaves, overlooking the driveway and the street which is 25 feet from the house. I want to be able to detect people and car movement especially at night and receive alerts with events being recorded. I like what I have read about Blue-Iris and plan to run it on a dedicated i7 PC. I plan to buy the cameras from CCTV.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do not make recommendations, I'm not a camera expert, just a user who shares his experiences. There are others here who can make recommendations based on your needs.

bobbehrooz

n3wb
Reaction score
Tolting Colt Acres, thank you for your response. I looked for reviews and recommendations and found the
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z).