Recommendation for IPC-HDW4431C-A

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you @Oblar, but was think about 70$, this model is really nice IPC-HDW5231R-Z so the price from Andy 167$, any other suggestion for outdoor camera?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
And still nobody has answered your actual question.

The first two you linked are 2.8mm lenses. The third is 3.6mm (not as wide of a view). Otherwise they're all the same camera. As the others have noted, those cameras are intended for the Chinese market. I believe that is determined by the C near the end of the model numbers. They are generally lesser quality than the 2MP Starlight series that is usually recommended around here (no surprise, the starlight series costs quite a bit more). That said, they aren't garbage cameras. They are still made by Dahua and run Dahua firmware (usually it has been hacked into English by the seller, but that is beside the point) which puts them a big step above other inexpensive cameras. I still recommend them to people with the smallest budgets. If you can afford $100+ per camera, you would be better off with starlight models.

As for recommendations from aliexpress, these two stores are legitimate:
You do have to be careful when shopping around from random sellers there, just like you have to be careful with random sellers on ebay or amazon. I haven't been burned by an aliexpress seller yet, but several of them take a very long time to ship, and you can't really count on support from many of them if something goes wrong with the hardware.

You can also look here to deal with Andy directly, as he can usually offer a lower price if you buy direct versus going through aliexpress. Important:About making order for dahua From Empiretech Andy

hdo27

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a couple of those 'cheap' IPC-HDW4431C-A-v2 cameras and they're working great with my Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 so far. I don't have strict requirements regarding low light so those cameras are good enough for me.

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guy,

I bought one IPC-HDW4231EM-AS 3.6mm so Andy sent me one IPC-HDW4231EMP-ASE please what is the difference?

I made some test , please see below the picture of my backyard, missing some parts on left and right sides, If I have the 2.8mm could be better?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
2.8mm is wider if that is what you're asking. Not a huge amount wider, but it is significant.

I don't know the difference between those model numbers. There might be no real difference.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 2.8 will give you right at 100 degrees of coverage. The 3.6 gives you right at 70 degrees of coverage.

BTW I have five 4431c cameras. They work great.

Reaction score
I also have 3 of the IPC-HDW4431C-A from Amazon and they work really well. Stable, great image, great low light (great for me), and the price is perfect.

Walt

n3wb
Reaction score
And still nobody has answered your actual question.

The first two you linked are 2.8mm lenses. The third is 3.6mm (not as wide of a view). Otherwise they're all the same camera. As the others have noted, those cameras are intended for the Chinese market. I believe that is determined by the C near the end of the model numbers. They are generally lesser quality than the 2MP Starlight series that is usually recommended around here (no surprise, the starlight series costs quite a bit more). That said, they aren't garbage cameras. They are still made by Dahua and run Dahua firmware (usually it has been hacked into English by the seller, but that is beside the point) which puts them a big step above other inexpensive cameras. I still recommend them to people with the smallest budgets. If you can afford $100+ per camera, you would be better off with starlight models.

As for recommendations from aliexpress, these two stores are legitimate:
You do have to be careful when shopping around from random sellers there, just like you have to be careful with random sellers on ebay or amazon. I haven't been burned by an aliexpress seller yet, but several of them take a very long time to ship, and you can't really count on support from many of them if something goes wrong with the hardware.

You can also look here to deal with Andy directly, as he can usually offer a lower price if you buy direct versus going through aliexpress. Important:About making order for dahua From Empiretech Andy
Thanks for this post. It answered a LOT of questions. It should be in a sticky: The pros and cons of cheap international cameras vs USA cameras.

Walt

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahem...It’s in the cliff notes!
Yes, I know, and the pertinent section should be part of the sticky.

While on the subject of The Notes, here's a suggestion to add to your tome.
In the watermark section, make note of the camera's lens. Then, years later you may not find yourself laying out string to find the angle to ID the lens.
(guess what I did today)

Just so it doesn't look like I've totally hijacked the thread, I plan to get more of the IPC-HDW4431C-A's. The more I look at them, the better I like them.
Can't beat the bang for the buck.
I even got a new (to me) NVR from aristobrat in order to take full advantage of the increased resolution and h.265. Yippee!