recommendation: outdoor ip poe for small area...

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looking for a small ip camera for inside the doghouse, outdoor/weatherproof capable likely good idea. Since inside an inclosure it should have IR illumination unless very sensitive (but might want night time video anyway).
Looking at Dahua IPC-HFW1320 on e-bay, but might not focus well for such a small area? Shorter focal length 2.8mm lens might be preferred, then don't need pan/scan etc. Simpler the better. Would likely need POE power supply too (for RG45 connectors, don't want to wire doghouse for 110VAC!!).
Maybe a dome camera with really wide angle?
Tnx in advance!
-G.

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool... I see it has an optional 2.8mm lens!

Ordered one, if it doesn't work in the doghouse it can work somewhere else... Thanks for the info Nayr.
-G.

Last edited:

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@CaliGirl
Still waiting, delivery is really slow up here so I really don't expect to have it until February some time. Meanwhile I just go out and make sure the current inhabitant of the doghouse is warm and fed... -32 this am and he's not going anywhere off of his warm heating pad! :)

I see you use an Asus wifi router. Are your Dahua cameras all wireless? I use 5 foscam and 1 (oddball no-name) wireless cams with a ubiqiti AP. I found the consumer routers just didn't have the capacity for more than one or two cameras.

Added a webcam shot looking NE from my yard, hope to post some pics of the new camera installation when it comes in.

NEcamera.jpg

-G.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't see the date. I should have known that. All wired for me. I have 3 wireless foscams and the constantly disconnect after a power outage. Only 1 out of 3 is connected right now bc of that. Nice View!

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found a suprise in the mailbox today, camera arrived. Package was ok and proceeded to hook it up. Plugged it into my POE router and nothing lights up... no IP connection or anything. Nothin shows up in the DHCP records. All the destructions are in Chinese... but that's ok... found the default IP address in the literature included anyway. Nothing shows up http, rtsp, utp, etc using the usual ports. Think it's DOA. What a shame... Emailed the seller, waiting for a response.
:(

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no power lights on your PoE switch is concerning, where'd u get it from?

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Came from an e-bay seller, China. Don't think I should say much more until the seller responds and they have a chance to resolve the issue. Still won't rule out operator malfunction though... reading though an english translation of the manual... maybe I missed something simple... never know.

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes POE works on the switch, runs another camera and I did switch ports around in case the new cam was plugged into a bad port just to varify. It's ok. Reading nayr's comment, looking a bit closer at the camera, I did come to a conclusion that what I thought was a re-set button is actually a DC power jack... Applying 12v here DID activate the camera. Now it's working as expected, except no POE. Have not heard from the seller yet, will send another message. Maybe I did get a knock-off? What I read was POE in the product description.

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did a bit more checking, my router provides 802.1AT, where the specs of the camera call for 802.1AF for POE power. Seems the only difference though is wattage, and both are standard 48v. I was powering it with some cat6stp cable so that shouldn't be an issue.
Looking though the web GUI on the camera, can't find anything that would indicate a switch to turn on/off the POE capability... just thinking...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
AT=AF on steroids. Not the problem. I've never seen a software switch to turn off POE. Are you sure your "router" supplies POE? Something seems off in the terminology because most routers don't supply POE. It's more common in switches. Whenever I hook up a POE cam direct to router it is with an injector.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you get a WiFi model? I know some models that come with WiFi chipsets dont come with PoE support

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WiFi model?
No... no wifi... or at least I hope not since there is no facility for attaching an antenna. Nothing for setup in the GUI either, so pretty sure about that.

with an injector.
Router works, as mentioned before it supplies POE to other devices, even switched ports around to make sure one port wasn't bad. Technically it's a smart switch for more accurate terminology.(edit)
I also tried it with a spare power inserter I had kicking around. No difference.

Camera has a great picture quality and sets up almost instantly with Blue Iris. Other than the issue with POE, it's a decent camera.

Expected to hear from the seller overnight but no word yet.

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting...
Guess I am not going to get an answer:
"This seller is currently away until 04 Feb, 2017, and is not processing orders at this time."

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Chinese Lunar New Year, the entire country is shut down.. not sure how they even keep the power on, mebe they have an app for that or something.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Suck for it to be right at the time we all discovered the wonderful starlight dahua cameras lol.