Recommendation Requested

Ginger

n3wb
Reaction score
I started using the trial version of Blue Iris for 2 outdoor Nest cams a few days ago and love the software. I'm ready to purchase the full version, but it's not clear to me which I need. I have 2 PCs (mine + my husbands) and 2 smart phones I'd like to have the ability to view / manage my cameras. Do I need 2 full versions for both PCs or 4 - 1 for each device?

Feedback appreciated!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I started using the trial version of Blue Iris for 2 outdoor Nest cams a few days ago and love the software. I'm ready to purchase the full version, but it's not clear to me which I need. I have 2 PCs (mine + my husbands) and 2 smart phones I'd like to have the ability to view / manage my cameras. Do I need 2 full versions for both PCs or 4 - 1 for each device?

Feedback appreciated!
You need one version of the software... You will control everything and record using that PC... Then you can use the blue iris built-in web server to access remote viewing on another PC and via your mobile phone you will use the available mobile apps at $10 each....

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
You need a Blue Iris version for each machine. Each installation of Blue Iris can handle up to 64 cameras. However, you don't need to install it on both machines, you can install it on one machine and live stream on the other.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Feedback appreciated!
Usually you want to run Blue Iris on a dedicated PC that is always on and has a good amount of local storage. This is what you could refer to as the Blue Iris Server. You can manage the server settings by logging in locally with keyboard and mouse, via RDP, or a product like teamviewer. You can log in remotely from any other computer or smartphone.

The mobile app for Android and iOS is a separate cost and cost somewhere around 10$ per phone I believe (there is a way to share apps between accounts). This allows you to easily view alerts/clips, manage some of the settings quickly such as profiles, etc.

You can also view the cams via web browser from any computer or smartphone.

So basically 1 Blue Iris license and 2 mobile app licenses assuming you both want the app on your phone and your accounts aren't linked.

Ginger

n3wb
Reaction score
You need one version of the software... You will control everything and record using that PC... Then you can use the blue iris built-in web server to access remote viewing on another PC and via your mobile phone you will use the available mobile apps at $10 each....
Outstanding; thank you for the quick reply! Very much appreciated!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Outstanding; thank you for the quick reply! Very much appreciated!!
note that there are issues with nest and blue iris...some folks have issues with the streams...there are several threads on this...essentially nest natively does not support standard streaming protocols like rtsp or onvif....they do this intentionally...so the only way to do this is to pull the stream from the cloud..the problem is you need to make the stream public and you are uploading then download the stream 24/7....my suggestion is to start looking at replacing the nest cameras...you can sell them on ebay and buy cheaper better ip cameras.