Recommendations for 4K camera with 1/1.2” sensor and IR

tuvow

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m looking for 4K cameras with a 1/1.2” sensor (or better) and IR capabilities. If I’m not mistaken they are not offered by Dahua or Hikvision. Is there any other brand that offer these specs? I’m looking for bullet, dome and turret style cameras.

I read Sony released their IMX585 sensor in June 2021, but I can’t seem to find any camera that use it?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

tuvow

n3wb
Reaction score
What I have found so far:
  • AXIS P1468-LE Bullet camera ($1,049)
  • AXIS Q3538-LVE Dome camera ($1,499)
Considering Andy is selling his Full-Color 4K camera with 1/1.2" sensor for around $250, I was hoping there are more affordable options than AXIS. Unfortunately Andy's cam doesn't work with IR and it's Sony's older STARVIS 1 sensor.

Surely there must be more options available considering Sony IMX585 (STARVIS 2 4K with 1/1.2) has been released in June 2021? I have not been able to find them yet though. It's super annoying that none of the manufacturers make it easy to filter their product offerings on camera sensor or sensor size :-(

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Released in June 2021, but who knows if there has been any real availability of the chips. There are still lots of chip shortages out there.

I do a lot in pro audio and Dante chips are only now starting to become available to manufactures after a nearly 3 year hiatus. Part of that was due to a redesign of the chip (to work with the newest Apple silicon), but a lot of it was simply not being able to get the chips produced in large enough numbers to satisfy the demand. Even now, Dante devices still aren't really making it to the end user as the manufactures are literally just now getting their chips. It might be another 2-6 months before devices are readily available again.

tuvow

n3wb
Reaction score
You’re probably right. I can only find one camera with the IMX585, but it’s not a surveillance camera. Since the release of “proper” 4K cameras (with 1/1.2 sensor) seems to be imminent I’m trying to decide if I should wait for them or if I should just go with 4mp at 1/1.8 now.

@EMPIRETECANDY Do you have any idea if Dahua plans to release 4K cameras with a 1/1.2 sensor and IR capability anytime soon?

Last edited:

blbla

n3wb
Reaction score
At this moment the cheapest: Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU

blbla

n3wb
Reaction score
That one doesn't support IR.
Correct, but the use of built in illumination should be considered as a last resort.
Typically when built in illumination is used, a face becomes an unidentifiable white spot, motion detection gets triggered on rain/snow/fog and spiders are attracted to the camera, leaving it covered in webs.

Better spend the money saved to an external illuminator, placed at a distance from the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Correct, but the use of built in illumination should be considered as a last resort.
Typically when built in illumination is used, a face becomes an unidentifiable white spot, motion detection gets triggered on rain/snow/fog and spiders are attracted to the camera, leaving it covered in webs.

Better spend the money saved to an external illuminator, placed at a distance from the camera.
The OP wants a camera that can see IR and these 1/1.2" sensor cameras cannot see IR so adding external IR won't work.