Recommendations for Linux Friendly POE camera system?

Reaction score
Hi! I've been reading through the cliffnotes and various forums and I've come to a liking of the "Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE". The one thing that irks me is that I need to run a web plug in to use the bulk of the features of the camera. For a linux user like me, this means that I'd need to spin up a Windows VM just to configure and view the cameras.

Do you guys know of any Linux (or browser friendly) camera setups? What are my options? I considered "ubiquiti" but I was told that for their price, the quality of their cameras wasnt that great.

Reaction score
Sadly, most of the Asian camera manufacturers still write ActiveX interfaces for their cameras. There must be a LOT of IE users in Asia, I guess. The good news is, once they're setup and configured, Dahua cameras are rock-solid reliable and don't require any special attention. And viewing their h.264 RTSP streams is drop-dead easy using VideoLanClient (VLC) Player.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Sadly, most of the Asian camera manufacturers still write ActiveX interfaces for their cameras. There must be a LOT of IE users in Asia, I guess. The good news is, once they're setup and configured, Dahua cameras are rock-solid reliable and don't require any special attention. And viewing their h.264 RTSP streams is drop-dead easy using VideoLanClient (VLC) Player.
chinese pirate windows like crazy.

Reaction score
chinese pirate windows like crazy.
Cheers, maybe I should just "aquire" windows to run in a linux VM.

10Gauge

n3wb
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to use the plugin. I never do. As long as you are using some kind of software recorder that will access the cam, you are home free.
If the cam comes up with DHCP, it is easier, but you can use a second nic or double home your current nic to the IP of the camera to set it to the IP that you want.
Then just use your software to monitor the cam. You only need the plugin for the browser in order to watch live video IN the browser. The other settings usually work without the plugin - USUALLY.