Recommendations for long driveway between houses?

Reaction score
Hi Folks -

I'm planning a system for my house. The one problem area I'm not sure how to handle is the driveway. I have a detached garage in the back yard with a 160' long driveway that sits between our house and neighbor.

- I'd like to see people walking up the drive, but obviously there's nothing interesting on either side
- I have the street and front area of the driveway covered by the front yard cameras
- There's some light, so Starlight cameras aren't absolutely necessary, but nice to have
- I have pwr/ethernet and some weather protection from the garage overhang.

Is there a recommended way to handle this? Here's a picture:

driveway.png

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
maybe a some pics or a diagram of the building/garage/driveway layout so we can grok it better to make reasonable suggestions?

do you have power (and network?) available in the garage?

Reaction score
Edited the original post with an a google maps satellite view image (which I thought the site would automatically scale, it's a bit larger than I expected). Yes, pwr/ethernet is not an issue.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are some suggested locations. I prefer to cover everything from more than one angle, if possible...
I put green dots where i'd consider cams, yellow lines showing the approximate field of view.
at least 4mm lenses, maybe even 6mm. turn the cams sideways (corridor mode) for a longer skinnier view.

32011247977_4be6f57ddf_o.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Folks -

I'm planning a system for my house. The one problem area I'm not sure how to handle is the driveway. I have a detached garage in the back yard with a 160' long driveway that sits between our house and neighbor.
Welcome @Alan commike

Plan to have multiple cameras covering the areas of interest on the driveway, including those you'd install on the main house.

See IPVM calculator for planning ideas on locations and possible camera FOVs.

update: pozzello has a good diagram to start with and test positions. I would also add one more camera to the front of the house by the first green dot and point that down to the sidewalk / driveway junction.