Recommendations for new cameras

miniteeg

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had BI working for years with my 8 PTZ wifi cameras. Now almost all the cameras need to be replaced. When checking the market, I have found that all cams being sold now are cloud based proprietary cams that can not be configured to work with BI.

Appreciate your recommendations please.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not use wifi, do not use cloud. For security cameras, reliability is critical, wifi is easy to block.
Look a hikvision dark fighter or dahua starlight.
Most but not all cameras on eBay and Amazon are Chinese hacks, so be careful.
Do not use next, ring, or reolink. Over priced crap, that do not work well with bi.

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the Cliff Notes

The IP Cam Talk ‘Cliff Notes’ is a document containing a lot of collective wisdom, and is incorporated into the IP Cam Talk Wiki IPCamTalk.com. While it is a little out of date with respect to specific camera models, it provides a solid foundation of information.

To access it via IPCamTalk.com, find the horizontal blue navigation bar at the top of any page, and select "Wiki", then in the "Everything Else" category, and then click on "IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes.

Here is a direct link: IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk

After looking at that, you Will have a better idea what’s going on but the camera options in there are slightly outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have had BI working for years with my 8 PTZ wifi cameras. Now almost all the cameras need to be replaced. When checking the market, I have found that all cams being sold now are cloud based proprietary cams that can not be configured to work with BI.

Appreciate your recommendations please.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
Hi @miniteeg

There's a pile of good IP PoE cameras that will work with Blue Iris, just need to know where to look.

Suggest starting by checking out the vendor section here, the cliff notes, and the various reviews by members. ( there are some really nice cameras being reviewed )