recommendations for outdoor cameras; I have too many false alarms

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All my cameras are outdoor. The amount of false alarms I get is absolutely ridiculous... I get alarm notifications like every minute (when there are shadows, sunlight changes, etc...)..... As you can imagine, I just ignore them now...

I have played with the motion detectors making them less sensitive but when that's the case, then true alarms are just missed...

this is getting frustrating.. Was researching about PIR cameras but read it is useless for outdoor monitoring? will still get a lot of false positives.

Any tips?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All my cameras are outdoor. The amount of false alarms I get is absolutely ridiculous... I get alarm notifications like every minute (when there are shadows, sunlight changes, etc...)..... As you can imagine, I just ignore them now...

I have played with the motion detectors making them less sensitive but when that's the case, then true alarms are just missed...

this is getting frustrating.. Was researching about PIR cameras but read it is useless for outdoor monitoring? will still get a lot of false positives.

Any tips?
you have not studied the motion detection settings including zone crossing etc...read the help file. There are also additional settings in the alert tab to minimize alerts while still recording.

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read the help file and experimented with zone crossing etc... no luck

Apart from PIR what can you suggest?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have read the help file and experimented with zone crossing etc... no luck

Apart from PIR what can you suggest?
no you havent...if you would have you would not have these false triggers.

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok .. I don't know what to say then

I created a thread about how to use zone crossing actually (not sure if it is this forum).

I guess thx for at least replying

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't know if it is useful or not; I am in a tropical country ... sunlight constantly changes and it's very windy at times .. so lots of stuff moving .. tweaking zone crossing, ambient light motion reset does not seem to work .... but I guess I need to look again? I am a bit tired trying all kind of configurations tbh (have been tweaking and adjusting for more than 5 months now..) .. was hoping there would be alternatives; PIR does not seem to be a good solution either

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok .. I don't know what to say then

I created a thread about how to use zone crossing actually (not sure if it is this forum).

I guess thx for at least replying
there is more to avoiding false alerts than zone crossing...PIR works pretty well if you get the right units and set them correctly.
You need to spend more time learning the BI motion settings...then either record continuously and set the motion detection to high threshold for alerts only or clone the cameras, set a low threshold for recording and a high threshold for alerts.

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx will try to play a bit more with zone crossing then