Recommendations for unmanaged 8 POE switch, all ports POE

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I currently have 6 Hikvision cameras. I will be adding at least 1 more camera. My preference is an 8 port switch, all must be POE, with a 9th port for the connection to my network. This will give me the option to add an 8th camera. If an 8-port plus a 9th for my network is significantly more costly then I would go with the 8 port.

Some are a bit weak when it come to power.

I want a fanless if possible, as the switch will be located near my bedroom.

Sounds like a 100MPS will be enough.

I see many on Amazon, price seems to run in the $120 -150 range. Is this what I need to pay?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have 6 Hikvision cameras. I will be adding at least 1 more camera. My preference is an 8 port switch, all must be POE, with a 9th port for the connection to my network. This will give me the option to add an 8th camera. If an 8-port plus a 9th for my network is significantly more costly then I would go with the 8 port.

Some are a bit weak when it come to power.

I want a fanless if possible, as the switch will be located near my bedroom.

Sounds like a 100MPS will be enough.

I see many on Amazon, price seems to run in the $120 -150 range. Is this what I need to pay?

Thanks.
buy two 4 port 10/100 switches and call it a day. Buy name brand switches or you will regret it.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454556683&sr=1-4&keywords=poe+switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
to keep most of the traffic off your network, you want your NVR or BI installation on the same switch as the cams,
and you want connect that to your network, so you really may need 10 ports...

i got a used netgear FS116P (16 ports total, 8 ports PoE) off that big auction site for less than $40...
just be careful as some people don't realize the diff between the fs116 (no PoE) and fs116P (with PoE).
name brand, no fan, just works.

for example, here's one for $55 delivered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361482769812

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, from all the reading I've done on this site, I know your advice is solid. I will buy 2 of the POE switches you recommended. Not to say pozzello's advice isn't solid. I found several candidates on that big online store, all of which were 8 port (all POE). Those were similarly priced or more expensive than fenderman's recommendation and fenederman's recommendation gives me additional ports for the BI PC and to connect the switches together.

I get what pozzello is saying. I do intend to plug all my cameras into these two switches. I assume I then connect one switch (non-poe port) to the other switch (non-poe port), then plug my BI PC into one or the other switches non-poe port. Then connect one non-poe port to the rest of my network. Whew! This, as I understand it, will keep the camera traffic off the rest of my network. FYI: All cameras are home run so it's easy to connect all cameras to these switches.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
i'd recommend connecting each switch to your 'main' router/switch separately (instead of daisy chaining).
but that'll take an extra port on your 'main' switch if you go with two 4+4 switches vs one 8+8...

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Pozello, my router has 4 ports and all are used. I've not heard of, or I should say not searched for a router with more than 4 ports.

Your link takes me to the Ebay page but does not state POE. When I Google the model listed, Netgear spec says 8 of 16 ports are POE. Is this what you bought/got?

Netgear data sheet says Total POE budget is 55W. That is low IMO for 8 ports.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems, but none of my current cams on that switch are PTZ's which require more power...
If that's a concern, then two switches with higher total power headroom does makes better sense.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll start with the two switches and stack one behind the other and see how it goes. Is this a no-no? If so, I suppose I need to invest in an 8-port router. One thing leads to another...

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just bought one of the netgear switches off of eBay. I'll let you k ow how it is

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll start with the two switches and stack one behind the other and see how it goes. Is this a no-no? If so, I suppose I need to invest in an 8-port router. One thing leads to another...
You will never need a router with more ports. All you need to do is add a 10-20 dollar gigabit switch, boom, you have 8 more ports.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You will never need a router with more ports. All you need to do is add a 10-20 dollar gigabit switch, boom, you have 8 more ports.
Thanks! I have a 16 channel switch on one port in the theater, not all are used but surprising how fast they fill up. I have a 4 port switch in the den on another port. I have 2 other ports that only have a single device on them. Should I stack the 2 switches on one of the ports or put one of the new switches on one port and the other new switch on the other port? Seems that stacking keeps the camera traffic within the 2 switches, but I don't know if stacking is a bad thing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I have a 16 channel switch on one port in the theater, not all are used but surprising how fast they fill up. I have a 4 port switch in the den on another port. I have 2 other ports that only have a single device on them. Should I stack the 2 switches on one of the ports or put one of the new switches on one port and the other new switch on the other port? Seems that stacking keeps the camera traffic within the 2 switches, but I don't know if stacking is a bad thing.
If you are attaching them to a gigabit switch then plug them both into that switch.

kawai

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. After reading all these post I have opted for a second hand cheapy netgear fs726tp. 24 (10/100) + 2 gigabit ports (12poe ports). For$50 aud and 10$ for delivery.

Any suggestions/recommendations on cameras and a minimal spec PC NVR?

THX

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
@kawai I'd suggest starting your own thread asking about cameras and NVR in your own thread, plus add details like budget, locations, field of view needed, lighting, purpose, and what exact job you want each camera to do. Half decent face at your door plus a wide view of the yard that won't give you a good face? How about reading the nametags of the delivery guys and religious freaks that come to your door? Adequate or excellent coverage at night of a car parked 15 feet from the camera? Decent chance at catching plates at 50 feet at night? Read each bill that passes over a counter? Can you park your car in the exact same spot 60 feet away on the street every night? Are you a DIY guy with some network experience and no fear of trying get a deal from China? Need a package deal YESTERDAY with good warranty and help with technical troubles besides unpaid anonymous folks on the 'net like Yours Truly?

Everybody starts out wanting a wide field of view for each camera, no more than $50 per camera, and then figures out after they're installed that they can't get the perfect facial ID they expected of the people that broke into their cars parked 40 feet away at night. Then they post "Waaaaah.... Can somebody from CSI please enhance this picture for me?" or "Waaaah.... I bricked or turned my $5 Chinese WunderCam into Chinese only!" For better than that you need to explain what your precise budget and needs are, where the cams are going to be mounted (under eaves? 5 feet from a busy sidewalk? flat on a wall exposed to weather?), how much light is already there, do you need reliable intruder motion alerts, do you care about still getting good video at night in fog/rain/snow/bugs, and how much you want to spend.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@kawai I'd suggest starting your own thread asking about cameras and NVR in your own thread, plus add details like budget, locations, field of view needed, lighting, purpose, and what exact job you want each camera to do. Half decent face at your door plus a wide view of the yard that won't give you a good face? How about reading the nametags of the delivery guys and religious freaks that come to your door? Adequate or excellent coverage at night of a car parked 15 feet from the camera? Decent chance at catching plates at 50 feet at night? Read each bill that passes over a counter? Can you park your car in the exact same spot 60 feet away on the street every night? Are you a DIY guy with some network experience and no fear of trying get a deal from China? Need a package deal YESTERDAY with good warranty and help with technical troubles besides unpaid anonymous folks on the 'net like Yours Truly?

Everybody starts out wanting a wide field of view for each camera, no more than $50 per camera, and then figures out after they're installed that they can't get the perfect facial ID they expected of the people that broke into their cars parked 40 feet away at night. Then they post "Waaaaah.... Can somebody from CSI please enhance this picture for me?" or "Waaaah.... I bricked or turned my $5 Chinese WunderCam into Chinese only!" For better than that you need to explain what your precise budget and needs are, where the cams are going to be mounted (under eaves? 5 feet from a busy sidewalk? flat on a wall exposed to weather?), how much light is already there, do you need reliable intruder motion alerts, do you care about still getting good video at night in fog/rain/snow/bugs, and how much you want to spend.
Dont forget the pc has to be on a pentium 4 system