Recommendations for wireless install

digiblur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for some guidance on a install I'm trying to do. I hate to go down the wireless rabbit hole as wired devices just seem to work and forget about them but I have a location I'm trying to cover that is detached from the home with no way to run an ethernet cable. Luckily the detached structure is only about 20-30 feet from the home and has power available. I'm looking to put about 3-4 cameras on it, combined with 2 more cameras that will need to be wireless as well. My concern is if the wireless will get bogged down with all the data feed into the NVR. I haven't set my eyes on any particular brand of cameras or NVR yet although I'm familiar with the Hikvision line of things. We tried to use those Arlo wireless cameras for a quick test but it was as expected, garbage, slow to load and batteries don't last long at all.

I was thinking of doing something like feeding the 4 detached cameras into a POE switch then attaching a wireless backhaul on their own wifi channel using two Ubiquiti radios back to the home.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very, very easy to do what you want. Get a pair of Ubiquiti radios like these:

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Nanostation NSM5, 5GHz, 802.11a/n Hi-power 20 dBm Minimum, 2x2 MIMO AirMax TDMA PoE Station: Computers & Accessories

Connect one to your switch in the house, on the other end connect to a new POE switch for your new cameras and that is it, you are good to go. The wireless devices are easy to setup and you should be up and running in no time. I have up to 14 cameras running on one of these links with no issues at all. I am recording at 8-10 FPS per camera and am only using 60-70% of the available bandwidth. I am also running these 600 feet or more in the wireless shot. I have several locations running wireless, maybe a 100 cameras all told going over wireless and I have zero issues with the Ubiquiti equipment. No reboots, no drops, they just work.

That said, at only 30 feet I'd just run direct burial cable across the yard and hard wire it if possible. If you go wireless set the Ubiquiti radios to their lowest settings as far as power.

My very first test of these I tested the link in a large indoor drive through building and it worked. I left one in the front office and the other was in my work van connected to a power inverter. After testing there I wanted to test the link down the street so I tossed it in the back of the van on the floor and drove my van around the interior of the building, went out the exit door on the far side and then down the street about 4 blocks away where I could just see the front door that I needed to point at. As I was getting out and opening the doors to point the radio towards the building the guy there called me and said don't even mess with testing it. I asked why, and he said he was running a ping to the device in my van the whole time and it only dropped one single packet! it was on the floor of a metal van pointing straight up towards the sky and still working at 4 blocks distance. I was then okay with trusting my cameras to it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use a powerline adapter better than wireless and works over the electricity cable.

Reaction score
Use a powerline adapter better than wireless and works over the electricity cable.
Powerline adapters work great however in this application I doubt both buildings are on the same electrical wiring.

I have used Ubiquiti NSM2 with great success for multiple applications exactly like this. You shouldn't experience any issues with only 4 cameras on the detached building.