Recommendations on POE Cameras (outdoor) - NEWBIE to concept

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
All,

I thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I see a lot of valuable information on these forums, but honestly, I am confused on what to buy, who to buy from and what type of camera I really should be getting. I hope you all can help.

I am looking to put in about 3-5 poe cameras around the outside of my home. I'd like to spend around $100-150 per camera (or less if quality and build doesn't suffer). Honestly, I know of the three types of cameras (bullet, turret and dome) but haven't a clue on whats the best scenario and why each camera is different.

In the past, for years, I have used a pieced together (works very well) camera system without outside access via my phone:

Software: Blue Iris
Hardware: PC with 16gb of ram, I5, basic (don't ever peg it out)
Storage: Netgear ReadyNAS with 8TB of storage space
Cameras: DLink Wireless cameras (will be removed)

In addition, for the new project, I will be using a TPLink TL-SG1008PE gigabit POE switch mounted on a rack in my garage. I will be running all of the cat5e wiring myself back to the switch and then back to my home network.

I am just simply confused on which cameras are best (for the money) and where to buy the cameras from. Take for instance Hikvision. Can be had on Amazon for $100 or less, but aren't "supported" by Hikvision due to Amazon not actually being a partner of the product. I also don't want to buy cheap Chinese knockoffs either.

Both picture quality and possibly IR/nighttime come into play here. I have FIOS 150/150 at home, so quality over bandwidth isn't an issue here.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome @ShaneHD

Turrets are going to provide much better night time images.
Bullets typically are composed of older ir rings which give more of a spotlight image/lighting at night.
Domes - don't use them outside unless they are fully covered under a patio or larger over hang. Rain and Snow are a domes achilles' heel. Water spots on a dome will cause massive IR reflection and blind the camera at night.

Hikvision and Dahua are the two most popular cameras typically discussed here. Each have there own positives and negatives depending on the situation. What you are talking about in regards to Amazon is sorta true, however they are not supported because they are actually hacked region cameras (a china hardware camera that has english firmware flashed onto it). This is why HIK will not cover it.

This recent Dahua turret is getting a lot of attention on IPCT: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Here is some LTS hardware I personally used (This is private label HIK) LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install
Here is another LTS install of mine: HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

The two above examples will just give you an idea of HIK hardware and the images it can provide.

Also note that Nelly's Security who sponsors IPCT also sells private label HIK hardware under there own brand with full 3 year warranties.

As a final note - here is a guide with several downloadable documents that may help you become more comfortable with the technology. Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

Last edited:

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
Zero-Degrees,

I looked on Dahua's website and noticed they have an 8MP camera as well? How does this 2mp camera you recommended above?

Whats the best place for the best price to buy these cameras? Is Amazon still an option (would be nice to cash in some airline miles for Amazon gift cards)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Zero-Degrees,

I looked on Dahua's website and noticed they have an 8MP camera as well? How does this 2mp camera you recommended above?

Whats the best place for the best price to buy these cameras? Is Amazon still an option (would be nice to cash in some airline miles for Amazon gift cards)?
They will have terrible night and low light vision unless you are willing to pay some serious cash..dont be a fool and chase the MP count...

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
That's why I am here asking

So the 5231-R is a good camera to start with? It's POE rj45 and a PTZ camera, correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I am here asking

So the 5231-R is a good camera to start with? It's POE rj45 and a PTZ camera, correct?
It is the best value today. Its is poe but NOT ptz...its has a motorized varifocal...
PTZ is a useless gimmick for 99 percent of people.

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks.

What's the going rate for this camera and what's the best place to buy it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yikes - $170 each.
That is cheap for the feature set. Yes you can spend less, then you will be back complaining that your night image looks bad...your choice. In your OP you stated 150...if 20 dollars is going to make it or break it then I would shelve the entire project....
There is a 135 dollar turret that is not varifocal and has worse low light ratings (but still much better than the 4mp hikvisions/dahua) but the 35 dollar difference is not worth it..the varifocal is a better value.

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will go with this camera, just need to add them slower than anticipated.

Question with turrets - can they be mounted and adjusted after they are mounted for correct viewing angles?

Reaction score
Welcome @ShaneHD

Turrets are going to provide much better night time images.
Bullets typically are composed of older ir rings which give more of a spotlight image/lighting at night.
Domes - don't use them outside unless they are fully covered under a patio or larger over hang. Rain and Snow are a domes achilles' heel. Water spots on a dome will cause massive IR reflection and blind the camera at night.

Hikvision and Dahua are the two most popular cameras typically discussed here. Each have there own positives and negatives depending on the situation. What you are talking about in regards to Amazon is sorta true, however they are not supported because they are actually hacked region cameras (a china hardware camera that has english firmware flashed onto it). This is why HIK will not cover it.

This recent Dahua turret is getting a lot of attention on IPCT: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Here is some LTS hardware I personally used (This is private label HIK) LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install
Here is another LTS install of mine: HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

The two above examples will just give you an idea of HIK hardware and the images it can provide.

Also note that Nelly's Security who sponsors IPCT also sells private label HIK hardware under there own brand with full 3 year warranties.

As a final note - here is a guide with several downloadable documents that may help you become more comfortable with the technology. Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

First post - Just wanted to say thank you to @zero-degrees for the help. I'm a newb too making decisions. I'm very comfortable with tech, linux, firmware, networks, blah blah blah but there is a ton of info to digest. Much appreciated.

Dytryn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, the 5231-R is the "best value today" but, assuming the same application, is there a better image quality camera today?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, the 5231-R is the "best value today" but, assuming the same application, is there a better image quality camera today?
not for low light and night vision at that price point...you are looking at 600-1000 for something equal or better...

Dytryn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
not for low light and night vision at that price point...you are looking at 600-1000 for something equal or better...
So, I guess the only limitation is the 2.8mm lens. What's are the most competent 4mm and 6mm units?

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the 5231-R still the go to camera here or is there an updated?

Had Guardian Security "try" to install 4 wireless IP cameras today. Not a one would get a signal outside. Pure joke.

Now I have wire and holes I need to fill the right way, personally built security system.

What's a step down from the camera above? Would really like to keep as close to $100 per camera, if that's even possible.