Recommendations on Z-wave sensors.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking for a recommendation on a zwave motion sensor to test out, I am considering this one Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO) people complain about the either 4 minute wait time to reset or you can run it in test mode so it is instant but then pet immunity apparently doesn't work, a google search has not turned up much that was helpful.

I am also looking for some temp sensors to put around the house, anyone anyone likes? Do you like multi sensors that do a bunch of stuff or just temp?

I'm running domoticz on a pi 3.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for a recommendation on a zwave motion sensor to test out, I am considering this one Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO) people complain about the either 4 minute wait time to reset or you can run it in test mode so it is instant but then pet immunity apparently doesn't work, a google search has not turned up much that was helpful.

I am also looking for some temp sensors to put around the house, anyone anyone likes? Do you like multi sensors that do a bunch of stuff or just temp?

I'm running domoticz on a pi 3.
I have tons of those ecolink sensors I use them outside I weather proof them and then put them under my soffit they do have a 4 minute reset or you can put them in test mode . Mine are inside the house are alll on test mode and it's been over 2 years still full battery also check these out I heard their really good Iris Motion Sensor Amazon.com: Iris Motion Sensor: Home Improvement

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also the pet immunity does work on all mine. I have to set them on pet 2 when their outside or sun will make them false.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if your working outdoors you wont want pet immunity; most people like keeping track of local wildlife with external cameras

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
indoor motion sensors don't work wonderfully outdoors, too much temp variation, uv light, water, and bugs.

For best results outdoors supply power to an outdoor motion sensor and connect it to a wireless zwave sensor if hard wiring isn't viable

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
indoor motion sensors don't work wonderfully outdoors, too much temp variation, uv light, water, and bugs.

For best results outdoors supply power to an outdoor motion sensor and connect it to a wireless zwave sensor if hard wiring isn't viable
Got any recommendations on an outdoor sensor?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if its indoors who cares about a 5min reset value, you dont want your lights/automation to cycle any faster than that anyhow if your using them for occupancy detection.

if your triggering a recording off it, tha'd kinda suck.. but usually inside z-wave md sensors are for letting your automation controller know its safe to shut off the lights w/out pissing your wife off in the shower because a timeout was reached... That just happened after putting a Z-Wave switch in the bathroom, disabled the light timeout until I put a motion detector in there.. perhaps with humidity sensing incase the shower curtain interferes.

The long timeout is because Z-Wave can do direct association, you can associate that sensor to a switch without a controller.. as long as that sensor detects motion the light will remain on. I do this with a few sensors because the response time is faster and the action always happens even if my controller is down for some reason (like door sensors turning on external lights)

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
if its indoors who cares about a 5min reset value, you dont want your lights/automation to cycle any faster than that anyhow if your using them for occupancy detection.

if your triggering a recording off it, tha'd kinda suck.. but usually inside z-wave md sensors are for letting your automation controller know its safe to shut off the lights w/out pissing your wife off in the shower because a timeout was reached... That just happened after putting a Z-Wave switch in the bathroom, disabled the light timeout until I put a motion detector in there.. perhaps with humidity sensing incase the shower curtain interferes.

The long timeout is because Z-Wave can do direct association, you can associate that sensor to a switch without a controller.. as long as that sensor detects motion the light will remain on. I do this with a few sensors because the response time is faster and the action always happens even if my controller is down for some reason (like door sensors turning on external lights)
Very good point man, very good point.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I suppose more of that will become clean when my freaking USB stick actually gets here, it was delayed for some reason lol.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ProTip, standardize on batteries for your sensors.. I went with Z-Wave sensors that use 123A batteries so I can keep a box of Surefire Lithium's around and can replace them quicky when they report low battery.

sucks when something needs a 9v or something I dont tend to keep many spares of.

Reaction score
I have several Aoetech 6 multi sensors and ceiling/wall mounts for some of them. At first I didn't like the idea of the 123a batteries but even using rechargeables it get better life than any of the other multi sensor I've tried. I think I have all mine set to trigger for 30 sec and my controller then times out the rest of the time, that way I can keep all the parameters on the sensor the same(easier to replace-I keep a list for each model) then adjust each location as desired(also easier to make changes on controller as the battery power sensors can be a pain to keep awake). I wish the light sensor on the Aoetech 6 multi sensor was like the old Aoetech multi sensor as it goes to zero to close to were I want to trigger some lights but it looks much better mounted in their ceiling/wall mount.

I'd stay away from Zooz multi sensors unless you like changing batteries a lot, they don't even have an option for USB power and give a low battery warning right away with rechargeable batteries. I may try to modify the ones I have to use 123a's instead of AAA's.