Recommendations?

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for my first camera system to help keep an eye out on the house. I've done some quick measures on google maps of distance - I'd like one corner to be able to see and record about 100' out - I need a camera on another 2 corners that will handle from around 50' to 75' or so per. Night vision would be preferred if possible. I'd prefer POE to make cabling easier. I have a gigabit network with a 2008 server that I can use to keep the video if needed. I'd like suggestions on cameras and I think Blue Iris interests me as the software. I'd like to spend around $150 a camera, but If I need to bump that up - I'll do my best to do so.

I'm 100% new to this - so I'm open to ideas/brands.

I don't know what details I left out - but shoot me questions and I'll try to answer.

Thanks for any help/ideas!

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
You may want to consider looking into the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I bullet cameras (link in my sig and also http://flark.it/hik) for the shorter distance you are looking to cover. They would work for the 100' distance too but if you want to get real fancy (and way above the budget per cam), check out the Hikvision varifocal - http://flark.it/hikvarifocal

Both of these cameras are POE :D

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
Mike - thanks for the heads up on the 2032's - I was looking at them earlier before posting but I was unsure of how far you could see with them. I assume I could mix and match the camera (2 cheaper ones to monitor the closer distances and 1 of the 2632's for the 100' one..)?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike - thanks for the heads up on the 2032's - I was looking at them earlier before posting but I was unsure of how far you could see with them. I assume I could mix and match the camera (2 cheaper ones to monitor the closer distances and 1 of the 2632's for the 100' one..)?
You can definitely mix and match the 2 cameras, especially since you are using Blue Iris :D

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Mike - I'm basically looking for keep some footage for if I need to call the police after something has happened and also need to remote view when I'm not around. I think this would be a good setup for that purpose. Any other thoughts - please let me know - thanks so much!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Vexter,
Those hiks are good choices. Consider, that some hikvisions have sd card capability which is great for backup. The varifocals and the DS-2CD2532F-IS have sd card slots. Software wise, blue iris is a great choice with tons of options but you will need a powerful cpu to run multiple 3mp cameras.
You mention that you want to see 100 feet out....you will need to get a vari focal and even then you may not get the clarity you need at that distance. What are you trying to capture at that distance?

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
Vexter,
Those hiks are good choices. Consider, that some hikvisions have sd card capability which is great for backup. The varifocals and the DS-2CD2532F-IS have sd card slots. Software wise, blue iris is a great choice with tons of options but you will need a powerful cpu to run multiple 3mp cameras.
You mention that you want to see 100 feet out....you will need to get a vari focal and even then you may not get the clarity you need at that distance. What are you trying to capture at that distance?
fenderman - thanks for the info - like I said - I'm learning... quick ;)

I have a pretty good CPU as far as my server goes or I have my gaming rig if needed - both are i5 series CPU's - I would hope that's enough for about 3-4 cameras. Let me know if it's not.

What I'm trying to capture at 100' is that I have neighbors who's idea of a good time is sitting on their deck until 2-3 am partying - loudly - and I need to be able to show they were out there past the quiet hours time ordinance of my town. I'm also looking to archive each night they're out in case I press charges (at over 100' away you can hear them in my bedroom like you're sitting on the desk with them..) so I'll video footage of their parties as a pattern and proof if needed.

The shorter cameras are meant for watching the neighbor just to the left of my house - who I don't trust one bit as shady doesn't even begin to describe them. They also like to party - but fortunately for me - it's even closer *sigh* - but I'm more concerned about them in terms of property damage or things of that nature.

I'm watching the thread, so keep the thoughts coming - thanks so much!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of things...at 100 feet I doubt you will not get any faces that can be identified in court. Yes you will be able to show that something was going on. About the noise you might want a camera with audio...some things to consider the DS-2CD2532F-IS (model with the S at the end) has a built in mic (no speaker, you need to add that). The varifocal hiks with the "s" option also have audio capability but you need to add the mic (this could be beneficial if you want to choose a sensitive mic...or place it in a location different than the camera). You are doing the right thing by first doing lots of research before buying...Consider also that 1.3 megapixel cameras have better night vision that 3mp cameras. Dahua overall has better nightvision than Hikvision. Maybe @vector18 can chime in, he has posts with photos of his nighttime dahua installs.

Last edited by a moderator:

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
Couple of things...at 100 feet I doubt you will not get any faces that can be identified in court. Yes you will be able to show that something was going on. About the noise you might want a camera with audio...some things to consider the DS-2CD2532F-IS (model with the S at the end) has a built in mic (no speaker, you need to add that). The varifocal hiks with the "s" option also have audio capability but you need to add the mic (this could be beneficial if you want to choose a sensitive mic...or place it in a location different than the camera). You are doing the right thing by first doing lots of research before buying...Consider also that 1.3 megapixel cameras have better night vision that 3mp cameras. Dahua overall has better nightvision than Hikvision. Maybe @vector18 can chime in, he has posts with photos of his nighttime dahua installs.
Yeah - I wasn't expecting faces @ 100' - but like you said, able to say "Hey judge/officer - they've been out there since 12 midnight and here's the proof or they have been out every night for a week....etc).

Which Dahua model(s) would you recommend? I like the idea of a mic - even a weak one in terms of just catching the noise @ 100' could help a case if I have to go (as I wouldn't think voices @ 100' at 2 am would be ok...:mad-new:).

I was 'this' close to ordering one of the cameras to get started - but I'll hold off until someone points out a Dahua model and I get a suggestion.

thanks one again for all the help - I really appreciate it!

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's hard to tell you exactly what camera to get. At 100 feet, your average fixed lens 150.00 IP camera is not going to light up that far and get much detail if it's a dark area. If there are street lights and/or ambient lighting nearby, you might have a chance. You may want to consider either a varifocal camera or a PTZ that you can adjust as need be basis. I'll try to post some night time samples by sometime tonight. Some look great, some do not. It all depends on the circumstance.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Vexter is also correct, the higher the megapixel, the more assistance from light you need. I'm not sure the technical sense of that, but 1.3's usually look better at night.

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input and the pics guys! You're helping me with all the choices and considerations to make. Is there a solid reason for a Dahua over Hikvision in this case or just 1.3mp over the 3mp for the night vision/long distance camera?