Recommended cameras/locations for our renovation

Reaction score
Hey all, I have learned a ton here, and I'm finally finishing up our renovation. I'm interested in your thoughts on camera models.

I understand I have some gaps to address on the north/top and west/rear sides - but for right now, I have 4 Cat6 drops as shown below:
SurveyRedacted.png
Survey.

IMG_20191025_115657.jpg
View Walking Up Driveway.

IMG_20191031_110937.jpg
View from Studio porch to back of house.
  1. Porch(Orange Star): Would like wider 'awareness' coverage here. Low lux important, less lighting on this side of house due to neighbor proximity, etc.
  2. Front Door (Brown Chat bubble): Cat6 & 120v wired - Am open to doorbell cam, especially if there is one that plays nice with the typical Blue Iris/NVR setup. Otherwise, your recommended regular 'ring' type doorbell model. Possible use for 2-way audio here, as I work from the studio and can't always break away from work to answer.
  3. Driveway(Blue Star): Good news, driveway is well lit with motion lights at each end. Bad news, my mounting point is high, and has gutter issues. So im thinking this will have to be a drop mount bracket with something powerful/PTZ - looking at empiretecandys SD6CE245U-HNI, but the price point hurts a bit.
  4. Studio(Purple Star): Currently a Foscam FI9901EP, but I'm open to a better solution if budget allows.
Future upgrades will include a Brick fence-post on the northeast (top right) corner of the property with 2 cameras, for better identification (street facing), house overview, and possibly LPR. Deck build may include a corner camera on the eaves in the back (the northwest / top left corner of the house).

I really appreciate any insight or recommendations. I learned a lot from this forum and the only reason I even got these drops in the budget was from showing the boss lady your pictures and recommendations.

Thanks everyone!

AP

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PTZ... the camera is pointed in the wrong direction when the action occurs. Use multiple cameras.

Two cameras on the garage, no higher than the door pointed down the driveway
One camera on the back of the garage covering the fence.
Two cameras on the front door, One door bell an one pointed to the package drop.
One camera covering the back yard.
Two cameras on the covering the glass windows doors at the back.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, I have learned a ton here, and I'm finally finishing up our renovation. I'm interested in your thoughts on camera models.

I understand I have some gaps to address on the north/top and west/rear sides - but for right now, I have 4 Cat6 drops as shown below:
View attachment 54103
Survey.

View attachment 54109
View Walking Up Driveway.

View attachment 54110
View from Studio porch to back of house.
  1. Porch(Orange Star): Would like wider 'awareness' coverage here. Low lux important, less lighting on this side of house due to neighbor proximity, etc.
  2. Front Door (Brown Chat bubble): Cat6 & 120v wired - Am open to doorbell cam, especially if there is one that plays nice with the typical Blue Iris/NVR setup. Otherwise, your recommended regular 'ring' type doorbell model. Possible use for 2-way audio here, as I work from the studio and can't always break away from work to answer.
  3. Driveway(Blue Star): Good news, driveway is well lit with motion lights at each end. Bad news, my mounting point is high, and has gutter issues. So im thinking this will have to be a drop mount bracket with something powerful/PTZ - looking at empiretecandys SD6CE245U-HNI, but the price point hurts a bit.
  4. Studio(Purple Star): Currently a Foscam FI9901EP, but I'm open to a better solution if budget allows.
Future upgrades will include a Brick fence-post on the northeast (top right) corner of the property with 2 cameras, for better identification (street facing), house overview, and possibly LPR. Deck build may include a corner camera on the eaves in the back (the northwest / top left corner of the house).

I really appreciate any insight or recommendations. I learned a lot from this forum and the only reason I even got these drops in the budget was from showing the boss lady your pictures and recommendations.

Thanks everyone!

AP

Welcome @AtlantaPesto

Looks like a really nice home.

While you can easily do it - over cable.

Seriously, over cable - and it is ok if you do not use all the cable drops from the start.

Do you have a test camera? If not, pickup a varifocal starlight and look for the test rig. ( see Southern Yankee's list of suggested models to consider ).

I like southernyankee's suggestions - and would certainly plan for more cameras than just 4...

Frontdoor:
Drop 2 cat6 cables to the doorbell by the front door
Drop 1 cat6 to the top of the front door

Garage:
Run 3/4" conduit to the garage for cat6 runs.

Looks like the driveway is not yet paved...
I'd run 2x 3/4" conduits to the start of the driveway - one for power, one for cat6 ... you can add in the future something there if you like.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Really appreciated folks. Low Voltage guy is coming back next week to trench in the cable to the studio, I'll have him look at the list from SouthernYankee and add all the drops that he can get done while he's here.

The driveway is getting redone in spring when my brother in law has some availability to help, and we'll be putting the conduit in - it was going to be just power for a potential gate or light, but I'll add the cat6 conduit run - thanks mat200.

SouthernYankee - thanks for both your response, and all the informative posts i keep finding. I've reviewed your v2 stand, and will get crackin on that project. Bonus, my boys are pretty excited about helping me make it. I'm looking through your cam list too.

Let me get a little further up the learning curve, and I'll be back with an update and some new questions.

AP