Recommended Manufacturers

Gracie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this so Im been doing my research. Any ideas which are the recommended manufactures that also provide the best mobile apps and warranty, for home use DYI install?
Thanks!

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums !
For such recommendation i think its best to list more specific what you want to do and the budget / camera. Network and computer skill-level also important. Brands are also country dependent. I like Dahua but it requires buying gear overseas (usually). Andy on the forums sells em with 2-y warranty.
Important:About making order for dahua From Empiretech Andy

Low light sensors are the new thing and makes a massive difference in videoquality at night. Dahua calls their lineup Starlight.

In the states you can buy Lorex that is rebranded Dahua but might not have the latest Dahua tech, have not checked.. Seems pretty nice for a kit solution with warrany.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this so Im been doing my research. Any ideas which are the recommended manufactures that also provide the best mobile apps and warranty, for home use DYI install?
Thanks!
When at all possible, stick with Dahua or Hikvision.

Gracie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks I am located in the U.S. I am tech savy since I worked in IT for 10 years. Thought about 4k cameras' but storage is an issue. Thinking 4 MP or lower abnout 6-8 cameras on the outside of the home and a NVR with PoE.
May hire someone to run the wires into my office.
Is noise an issue with the fans of NVRs or are they as noises as a Desktop PC.?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks I am located in the U.S. I am tech savy since I worked in IT for 10 years. Thought about 4k cameras' but storage is an issue. Thinking 4 MP or lower abnout 6-8 cameras on the outside of the home and a NVR with PoE.
Hi Gracie,

There's a lot of new stuff to learn in IP security cameras, so definitely go through that thread - we've added links to notes recently at the end of it which will be especially helpful we hope.

nevitte

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Gracie. I have 2 lorex 8 camera systems and swapped out my 1TB and 2TB hard drives for 4TB, which is the max size I could put into my dvr. With the change I have about 13 days of video with 8 cameras recording continuously. The hard drive is WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Drive Disk and I purchased from Tiger Direct.com, item # 40612561, model # WD40PURZ. It costs $139.99 and shipping was free. Hope this helps. Also, Western Digital has other hard drives starting at 500 GB on the low end up to 10 TB on the high side.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
the 4mp cameras will do poorly in low light...see the dahua starlight threads for 2mp starlight cameras that are exceptional in low light...also resolution has zero impact on storage space...one thing and one thing only impacts storage - bitrate.
Modern pc's are super quiet..NVRs - particularly those with built in POE are VERY noisy. A pc running a vms like blue iris will give you much more flexibility as well as be whisper quiet.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My limited experience agrees that an NVR with built-in POE is very loud, a major portion of it being the power supply fan. My no-poe NVR uses a fanless external power brick. Its case cooling fan is pretty reasonable, but not silent. Some newer PCs are about the same, some are quieter. Built in POE capability gives you plug-and-play operation at the cost of flexibility. With the built-in POE switch NVR it's a pain to log onto the camera directly. With an IT background I'd assume you could handle the network issues involved with an external POE switch. Based on my own (again, limited) experience I'd steer you to Dahua cameras and NVR if you choose to use an NVR. I've found the Dahua equipment to give better image quality for the money, more flexible, and easier to operate. I use a 5216-4ks2 NVR with 10 cameras. All of this IP camera equipment has bugs, but I've eventually been able to work around them. I have a mix of 2 and 4 mp cameras. The 4 mp ones give a bit sharper daylight image if you run the max bitrate, the 2 mp starlights beat them handily in the dark. Fenderman made a good point about the bitrate. If I run a 4 mp camera at the same bitrate of a 2 mp camera, the daylight images look abut the same.

I can't comment about the mobile apps. The warranty issue is "interesting". You can buy grey-market equipment with no manufacturer warranty, which leaves you at the mercy of the seller. Or you can pay a lot more from a factory authorized reseller. I have the sense most of the end users on the forum have gone the grey-market route, without a whole lot of issues as an overall percentage.