Recommended Radios

Gaspar

n3wb
Reaction score
hi friends, I have a Hikvision NVR (DS-7608NI-K2) in site "A" and 3 Hikvision cameras (DS-2CD2023G0-I, DS-2CD2123G0-I and DS-2DF8236IX-AELW) in site "B" and 3 more just like them in site "C". Site "B" is 12 Km away from "A" and "C" is 22 Km away from "A" too. The thing is that I need to link A with B and A with C to connect the six cameras to the NVR. What radios can you recommend me to accomplish that??? Thanks a lot in advance!!!

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ubiquiti has radios that can span that distance but you are going to need some tall towers unless you live in the desert.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here his a linkUbiquiti Networks - Democratizing Professional Network Technologywhich shows throughput and range of their radios. You need the lowest throughput radio (3 cameras should be less than 20Mbps) with acceptable range. You probably are needing something in the 25km range. You should use the same radios for both hops since there will be less to learn and only need one spare radio. Look at the airFiber and airMax 5GHz radios. The radios are pretty cheap. The AG-HP-5G23 (airMax) is less than $100 for each end.

The terrain you are crossing will have a lot to do with required tower height. Here is link to determine tower height Connect802 - Antenna Tower Height Discussion. A 12 mile hop with 60 foot trees will require a 100 foot tower more or less. A 100’ self supporting tower is $5,000 to $10,000 plus foundation costs and erection costs.

Last edited:

Gaspar

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you very much @GCoco but you lost me in the "You should use the same radios for both hops since there will be less to learn and only need one spare radio" part...sorry but I don´t know what you mean with "one spare radio" ??? I need to set up 2 separate links (since the 3 sites A,B and C are te vertices of a triangle) so I need to use 4 radios, correct??

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What I meant is you could use 2 different models of radios since one hop is 1/2 the length of the other. I was suggesting that all 4 be the same model that way you don’t have to deal with different models and if you wanted a spare you only need one.