Recommended software to record at all times?

Reaction score
So I am thinking of purchasing a few Foscam FI8910W cameras to place around my property. However, I need to record the footage (in order to have it available for review later if the situation arises) and set it to over-write itself every 3 days or so. Is there a way that I can record the footage at all times (not just with motion-trigger) to a hard drive in my computer (I have set aside 500GB but can allocate 1 TB if necessary), with the over-write old footage every few days?

I've checked around and I believe BI might be able to do this, but I've found mixed answers on this topic--so I am hoping someone here might be able to help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome. As Mike said blue iris can do this. Also please reconsider the foscams. They are nothing but trouble. If you go with dahua or hikvision you can use their free software instead of blue iris.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
+1 about avoiding the Foscam cameras. I should have mentioned that in my post.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies! I am pleased to get a straight answer.

Now on the other topic, I actually had considered getting hikvision--but due to budget constraints I removed them from my list of potential purchases. I need at least 4 cameras and I have a limit of $500. I have not looked into dahua as of yet, but will consider before I make a purchase.

Up until now (before I found this forum) I based my top choices based on reviews I've read on amazon on the cameras I am considering. Foscam was at the top of my list due to the generally favorable reviews and low price. Anyway, is foscam really that bad?

dalepa

Reaction score
The image quality 640x480 is just bad when compared to the Hik 1920x1080 resolution. You will be out $500 once you see the difference and have to go buy all new cams...

Many of use AliExpress from china successfully and the Hik2432 is $40 less than US based nellyssecurity or wrightwoodsurveillance which is $20 less than amazon.

However, china returns are cost prohibitive for returns if you have an issue, so it's a slightly high risk but they offset the risk by offering discount on a replacement cam if you have issues.

For outdoor, Hik2032 is great little cam too...

Thank you all for your replies! I am pleased to get a straight answer.

Now on the other topic, I actually had considered getting hikvision--but due to budget constraints I removed them from my list of potential purchases. I need at least 4 cameras and I have a limit of $500. I have not looked into dahua as of yet, but will consider before I make a purchase.

Up until now (before I found this forum) I based my top choices based on reviews I've read on amazon on the cameras I am considering. Foscam was at the top of my list due to the generally favorable reviews and low price. Anyway, is foscam really that bad?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You might be able to use less cameras if you go with a 2mp camera and a wide 2.8mm lens to cover more area.

Reaction score
Understood, I actually decided to go with a mixture of dahua (indoors) and hikvision (outdoors). However, I have just encountered a problem I had not considered up until now. The cameras I am planning to purchase are for my new apartment. I am moving to an area that only has suddenlink as its sole ISP, and have read horrible reviews on the speeds others get (such as 1.5 MB/s download while they are actually paying for 15 MB/s) :uncomfortableness:. I have found no information on the upload speed, but it is probably way worse (which I assume is what matters when using an IP camera set up). I am wondering now if that will be problem..?

In the unfortunate case that it is, any recommendations on any non-IP cameras (I have a DVR) :indecisiveness:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your isp speeds have no bearing on they type of cameras you should use. Internal recording does not depend on your ISP, just your internal network. When viewing remotely you can adjust the bitrate.

Reaction score
Your isp speeds have no bearing on they type of cameras you should use. Internal recording does not depend on your ISP, just your internal network. When viewing remotely you can adjust the bitrate.
So even if I have poor internet, I am able to remotely view and record at the highest settings without any issues?
I just want to make sure. I have no experience with IP, my current set up includes 4 non IP cameras (which are meh quality) and a DVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will be able to record at the highest settings and view it locally at the highest settings. High quality recording is the most important. You will have to set the remote view to lower settings, this can easily be done using blue iris.