Record only when home alarm is on?

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a DS-2CD2142FWD-I to install in front of my house.
I have plans for 3 more cameras (one at the back of my house and two Indoors) but i thought I'd try this one out first to see if Hikvision is the way to go.

I've set it up to record to one of my Synologys using Surveillance Station and I've got it to work as I want (well almost, but that'll be another thred).

Something that struck me while setting the camera up is if there is a possibillity to have the cameras to only record when the home alarm is turned on?
I can understand if some people would like to have say a possible attack in their house caught on camera, but in my case I'm mostly interrested in recording what may happen when I'm not at home.
And I'm not interrested in filling a hard drive with recordings of family members walking around in the house, not to mention that it's quite a releaf for the whole family to know that the cameras aren't recording every step we take. I mean, the cameras are for events like brake in's and fires, right?

And the scheduling possibility doesn't quite do it since we're not exiting and entering our home at a preset schedule. And what about travels? It's not very handy to have to rechedule for every time we leave for a couple of days or weeks.

My guess is that it's not a good idea to power the camera upp and down every time we exit and enter our house, so ideal for me would be to have the cameras powered up and ready but only record and send notification when the home alarm is armed, and there is motion. And if there is an actual break in or fire the home alarm will go off and do it's job.

I know that the camera i've allready bought doesn't have the i/o-option but for future cameras this will be included.
Anyone know if this is possible in any way? Maybe with another brand of camera?
Maybe with additional hardware?

slingshot

n3wb
Reaction score
You can get burglar alarms that have camera's inside the pir sensors, maybe have a look at those?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can get burglar alarms that have camera's inside the pir sensors, maybe have a look at those?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
1996 called it want's it's camera back. srsly, these are on par with cameras from the 90's.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a DS-2CD2142FWD-I to install in front of my house.
I have plans for 3 more cameras (one at the back of my house and two Indoors) but i thought I'd try this one out first to see if Hikvision is the way to go.

I've set it up to record to one of my Synologys using Surveillance Station and I've got it to work as I want (well almost, but that'll be another thred).

Something that struck me while setting the camera up is if there is a possibillity to have the cameras to only record when the home alarm is turned on?
I can understand if some people would like to have say a possible attack in their house caught on camera, but in my case I'm mostly interrested in recording what may happen when I'm not at home.
And I'm not interrested in filling a hard drive with recordings of family members walking around in the house, not to mention that it's quite a releaf for the whole family to know that the cameras aren't recording every step we take. I mean, the cameras are for events like brake in's and fires, right?

And the scheduling possibility doesn't quite do it since we're not exiting and entering our home at a preset schedule. And what about travels? It's not very handy to have to rechedule for every time we leave for a couple of days or weeks.

My guess is that it's not a good idea to power the camera upp and down every time we exit and enter our house, so ideal for me would be to have the cameras powered up and ready but only record and send notification when the home alarm is armed, and there is motion. And if there is an actual break in or fire the home alarm will go off and do it's job.

I know that the camera i've allready bought doesn't have the i/o-option but for future cameras this will be included.
Anyone know if this is possible in any way? Maybe with another brand of camera?
Maybe with additional hardware?
I haven't used surveillance station so I don't know if it can handle this or not.

Generally people aren't very good at religiously arming their alarm systems. You don't want not record somebody stealing a package off your porch because you forgot to arm the alarm. A number of people here do use alarm systems to control if they record their interior cameras leaving the exterior cams on 24/7. On a basic level you'd need an output from the alarm system that follows the system status, armed, disarmed, in alarm and an input you can connect that to on an NVR (if the NVR has enough settings to let you control this) or an i/o device hooked to a computer running blue iris or similar software.

It may also be possible on a software level with various automation hardware and software, but that's more complicated.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I record in every state 24/7, I do motion detection on armed home and armed, my system is armed automagically with geofence lol.

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To be fair it is surprising that there is now way to do something like this.

I'd love to be able to set a recorder up that has alarm inputs to send notifications if the internal camera's detect movement while the home alarm system is armed and NOT to send notifications when the system is disarmed or part armed.

Reaction score
One possible way-- feed cameras into a switch then recorder and have the switch powered from your security alarming , relay interrupting switch power. Cameras on all the time just not seeing the recorder until wanted.

Philosophy of not recording is your decision.
Mine are recording all the time, I just ignore certain camera until a problem.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
To be fair it is surprising that there is now way to do something like this.

I'd love to be able to set a recorder up that has alarm inputs to send notifications if the internal camera's detect movement while the home alarm system is armed and NOT to send notifications when the system is disarmed or part armed.
this is where blue iris wins, you can have a different profile for each alarm state, when I am in armed home, I get push notifications but the cams do not take snap shots and send them to my email, I don't feel the need since I'm there, but they send snapshots when armed.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Fresh with ideas from your input and some ideas of my own I started some new searches on the internet and I realize this may be done with some additional hardware. Looks like there may be some NVR:s with I/O:s capable of doing this.

To not run this topic in multiple forums at the same time I thank you all and continue my research in other threads.

Maybe I return and let you know how (if) I solved it.

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes please - post back with what you find or accomplish, its an area that does intrest me. Thanks!

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this is where blue iris wins, you can have a different profile for each alarm state, when I am in armed home, I get push notifications but the cams do not take snap shots and send them to my email, I don't feel the need since I'm there, but they send snapshots when armed.
do you find that geofence works well for this purpose? im trying to do the exact same thing and seen a few threads saying geofence doest work to well?