Record using Motion Detectio

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Hopefully someone can help? I've set my Hikvision cameras up to detect motion and this part seems to be working. When something moves across the field of detection in the IVMS-4200 software a small bell appears in the top right corner indicating 'Motion Detection Alarm'

The trouble is I don't seem to be able to record these events when they happen. I can manually record and these files go to C:\IVMS-4200\Video which is the default file location in System Configuration. However I can't seem to record via Motion Detection.

Where do I need to go to set this up? Is it done in the IVMS software, or by login into the IP address of the camera and setting it in Configuration?

I would like it to record to a standard PC drive is possible, though out of desperation I tried to configure it to record to my Synology NAS box (again without success)

Many thanks

Last edited:

Alex_N

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't use the IVMS software, but if you want to use a standard PC or NAS you have two options for storing the images/video.

1. An FTP server running on the PC or NAS. This will allow you to store only images, not video.
2. You can create and share a folder on your PC or NAS. This will allow you to store both images and video. You then have to add the path to this folder in the camera's settings under Storage -> Storage management -> Net HDD

This is a tutorial for the second option:

First create a new folder named for example CameraDetections on your PC or NAS (avoid using space in the folder name). Don't use an existing folder because the camera will delete everything in this folder.

To share the CameraDetections folder if you are using Windows right click on it and choose properties. Go to the Sharing tab and click Advanced Sharing. Check the Share this folder box. Click on Permissions and check the Allow box for Full Control and Change (Read should already be checked). Click OK to close the Permissions window and then click OK again to close the Advanced Sharing window.

Now you have to add the path to this folder in the camera's settings.
Login into the camera using the IP address of the camera, click Configuration and go to Storage -> Storage management -> Net HDD

Click on the Server Address box and enter the IP address of the PC or NAS where the CameraDetections folder is.
In the File Path box enter \CameraDetections (don't forget the \ before the name of the folder).

For Mounting Type choose SMB/CIFS.

The user name is the same user name you use to sign into Windows (or the user you use to access the shared folder on the NAS).

The password is the same password you use to sign into Windows (or the password you use to access the shared folder on the NAS). If you don't have a password you need to create one.

Click the Test button and if everything is OK you should get a Testing succeeded message. If not make sure the Windows firewall is not blocking incoming connections.

Click the Save button.

Click on HDD Management at the top of the page.

You should now see a new HDD in the HDD Management table with an Uninitialized status. Check the box before its number and click the Format button. The camera will format the HDD. Don't worry, this will not format the HDD in your PC, it will just clear and initialize the CameraDetections folder for the camera to be able to use it.

The Status of the HDD should change to Normal.

Go to Storage -> Schedule Settings -> Record Schedule and check the Enable box. Configure the record schedule to 24/7 and make sure the color is set to the one that corresponds to Motion (Green) or Event (Purple). Event records all events including motion, Motion only records motion events.
Click the Save button

Now you have to configure Motion Detection

Go to Event -> Basic Event and click on Motion Detection. Make sure the Enable Motion Detection and Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion boxes are checked.
Click Draw Area and select the area to monitor.
Click the Save button

Click on Arming Schedule and configure it to 24/7.
Click the Save button

Click on Linkage Method and check the Trigger Recording A1 box to enable video recordings. If you want to also store images check the Upload to FTP/Memory Card/NAS box.
Click the Save button

To view the recordings you have to login into the camera and click Playback. The recordings should appear on the timeline.

Last edited:

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alex.

Just giving this a go now. I can map a drive to my NAS using \xxxx but I don't seem to be able to map a drive to my PC.

My PC has several drives including C:\ D:\ L:\ etc. How do I tell the camera to look at a particular drive?

I did create a share name on the L:\drive and called it 'Hedgehog'

I tried;

\Hedgehog
\L:\Hedgehog
\\L:\Hedgehog

I think part of the issue is I can't change the type from NAS to anything else. That's the only option available to me

Last edited:

Alex_N

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
\Hedgehog is the only one you should use. The drive letter doesn't matter (the operating system knows on which drive the folder is).

The NAS drop-down option that can't be changed has nothing to do with the fact that it's not working.

Make sure Mounting Type is set to SMB/CIFS and that the firewall is not blocking the camera from accessing the shared folder.
Also check that the username and password are correct.
If you have another computer or laptop connected to the same network you could try accessing the shared folder from it. Press the Window Key + R to open Run and type \\192.168.1.2\Hedgehog in the Run window (change 192.168.1.2 with the IP of the computer that has the shared folder). Press OK. If it works it should ask you for a username and password.

Last edited:

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again Alex

I'm a lot closer now but having an issue when formatting the drive. The format takes place and gets to 100%. When I check the main folder there are sub folders 'datadir0 -15' and an 'info.bin' file. Everything looks OK and the drive did show 'Normal'. However if I refresh the screen it shows 'Uninitialized' again

One thing I noticed is that in NetHDD I have HDD numbers 1-8 to select from. Once I have set the parameters I open HDD management to format the drive, but the only option I have is HDD 9. Is that right?

Alex_N

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know what to say about it showing 'Uninitialized' again when refreshing the page. If the camera managed to create the datadir folder and info.bin file everything should be OK. You should continue configuring the Record Schedule and Motion Detection and see if it works.

My HDD also appears as HDD 9 in the HDD Management page, so don't worry about that.

Alex_N

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've searched a bit for the HDD uninitialized issue and found out that some Hikvision cameras (depending on their firmware version) can't use a volume that has a size larger than 250 GB. You can see the size of the volume in the HDD Management page under Capacity in the camera's settings.

Solution: You can place the shared folder on a partition that has less than 250 GB of free space or you can limit the shared folder's size to 240GB using Disk quota.

Tutorial for using Disk quota to limit the shared folder to 240 GB:

Step 1. Create a new Windows user named Hikvision (Disk quota works on a per-user basis and you don't want to limit your own Windows user.)

Press the Windows key and R, type cmd and press OK.

In the CMD window type (replace password with a real password):

Code:
net user Hikvision password /ADD /EXPIRES:NEVER
Press enter and 'The command completed successfully.' should appear.

In the CMD window type:
Code:
wmic useraccount where "Name='Hikvision'" set PasswordExpires=false
Press enter and 'Property(s) update successful.' should appear.

2. Add the new Hikvision user to the 'Hedgehog' shared folder user access list.

Right click the shared folder and then click properties.
Click the Sharing tab.
Click the Share button.
Click the small arrow pointing down and choose the Hikvision user.
Click the Add button.
Change the permission Level for the Hikvision user to Read/Write
Click the Share button and then click Done
Click Close to close the properties window.

3. Enabling disk quota

Open My Computer and right click on the drive where the shared folder is and choose properties.
Click the Quota tab.
Click Show Quota Settings.
In the Quota window check the 'Enable quota management' and 'Deny disk space to users exceeding quota limit'.

Make sure the 'Do not limit disk usage' option is selected!

Click the Quota Entries button.
Click Quota and select New Quota Entry.

Type the username Hikvision in the 'Enter the object names to select' box and click the Check Names button. If everything is OK the computer's name will appear in front of Hikvision like this COMPUTERNAME\Hikvision

Click OK to close the Select Users window
In the Add new quota entry window select Limit disk space and set it to 240 GB, set the warning level to 239 GB.
Click OK
The Hikvision user should appear in the quota entries list.

Click the X to close the quota entries window
Click OK
Click OK to enable the quota system.
Click OK to close the properties window.

4. Replace the old username and password in the camera's settings

Go to Configuration>Storage>Storage Management>Net HDD
Select the HDD and change the username to Hikvision and the password to the one you've used at step 1.
Click Save, refresh the page and then click Test
Go to HDD Management and format the uninitialized HDD. The capacity should now be 240 GB.

Last edited:

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alex. My drive is 4TB and is showing under Capacity as 3725Gb which is the actual size of the dive.

I think I have some old 80Gb drives knocking around somewhere so I'll give one of these a bash tomorrow

I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
It only worked!!!! Genius!

I'd have never guessed the drive used for recording had a size limitation. I set my Disk Quota to 200Gb in the end just to be on the safe side and now it's recording files and allowing me to download them onto my PC.

Just a couple of quick questions if you don't mind?

1. What happens when 200Gb worth of recordings have taken place? Do the oldest files get overwritten or do I somehow have to carry out manual cleanups?
  2. Is there an audible alarm that can be configured to tell when motion has been detected? Because I'm using this for watching hedgehogs and they arrive any time at night a simple beep to alert me would be really useful

Thanks again for all you help and advise ;-)

Alex_N

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad to hear it works.

1. In the camera's settings go to Configuration > Storage > Schedule Settings > Record Schedule. Click the Advanced button and make sure the Overwrite option is checked (the camera will overwrite the old files when it runs out of space).

This is unrelated to your question but in the same Advanced window there should be an option called post-record. By default it's set to 5s. That's how long the camera will record after the motion detection event is over. If you notice that the recordings stop too early when there is still activity you want to record, you can increase the post-record time.

2. For audible alarm on my PC/laptop I'm using a program I've made myself. In addition to the audible alarm the program also shows a live view of the camera and stores images when a motion detection event is triggered.

The program is in pre-release beta and I'm actually looking for some beta testers. It supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 and only works with Hikvision cameras.

This is a screenshot of my program.

Alarma-Screenshot.jpg

If you are interested in using my program please let me know and I'll send you a private message with a link to download it and a license key.

Last edited:

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alex

Thanks for the additional information and yes, I would like to test your audible alarm. I'm a Windows 10 user

Cheers

Alex_N

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've started a private conversation with you, all the details are there.

Thanks!

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alex

I'm away for the next 10 days so will message you on my return

Cheers