Recorded Video starts too late

markh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,
Ive finally uninstalled iSpy and Have now purchased BlueIris 3.66 for my HP Gen8 Microserver

Server Specs:
CPU: i3-3230T
RAM: 4GB DDR3
HDD: 2TB WD RED NAS Drive. No Raid. 1TB partitioned for BlueIries

As BlueIris is a 32bit application, i see no need to increase the RAM, but am open to it if this will improve performance.

I have a single POE Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I - Set to 1080p , Variable Bitrate. 6 Frames per second.

In Blue Iris , i have the Camera set to 10 frames/sec and with a 1.5mb buffer in Video , Network IP , Configure, Network Options.

Is there somewhere i can set it to record earlier and designate a record length ?, as i appears to not capture the first 2 seconds of what should be recording......

Any advice on further configuration would be great. Most of the Motion/Trigger page make little sense to me as a new user. If anyone has a cheat sheet to what each option does, that would help.

Thanks again,
Mark.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Under the record tab you need to set your pre trigger frame buffer size. If you are recording at 8fps then you need to set it to 24 for three seconds of pre recording. Your make time (trigger if motion occurs for more than) is set to 1.5 seconds and that can be high enough to mis some events....You may also want to increase your break time, this will ensure the camera keeps recording if the object stops for a few seconds or their movement is not enough to trigger.
Also uncheck object detect reject, that will cause you to miss some motion events.
The help file has info on all these settings..

markh

n3wb
Reaction score
Gday fenderman

Thankyou soo much for the tips, ive done as you have advised.
Ill just give it for few test runs today and tomorrow.

All the best,
Mark.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. Also are you running in direct to disk mode? If so recording only starts on i frames so make sure you match your cameras iframe settings to the cameras fps settings...

markh

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok , so ive done as you advised..... Now its all set to 8. (See attached) ......and Yes , one of the best posts i read on this forum advised to match up FPS and use Direct to Disk. Good to know about the i Frame business.
HikVision_Config.JPG

Just curious, what file formats are generally lighter on CPU for recording?

Im using .mp4 as thats what iSpy was using and i can play it back on any device without issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
According to the help file bvr is most efficient and allows you to play back video while the file is being written to. I haven't done any testing though. Direct to disk will help a lot with cpu usage.

Reaction score
Ive been looking for this info on matching up FPS for use of Direct-To-Disk. Where can I find that post?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In your camera, match the iframe interval to the fps...it is not a setting in BI.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
iframes are complete frames/images in the video; between iframes only the differences between the last iframe and the current image are transmitted.. this keeps the bandwidth down when there is little/no motion.. When using triggered recordings you can get the stream without a beginning Iframe and have to wait until one comes in before the whole image is rendered.. so its best to set iframe intervals to there lowest value for these events so you dont have to wait a few seconds for the whole video to display and miss anything.

cameras recording 24/7 should have iframes coming in at longer intervals; every few seconds as it will save on storage space.

if recording direct to disk the format the camera uses is irrelevant to CPU usage; your computer/nvr is simply saving the stream to a file and not processing anything... as long as you have a good network card that offloads checksuming your computer should be able to saturate Gigabit ethernet using very little resources for this task.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To clarify, the post is referencing the direct to disk option in Blue Iris, there is processing going on because blue iris does motion detection on the incoming frames. The amount of cpu usage is reduced significantly. Most cameras will not let you set a lower iframe interval than your FPS settings that is why it is suggested to match them because is just simplifies the instruction.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if BI is doing motion then yeah; its saving the stream to file while also decoding the stream and processing it for motion.. there will be CPU cycles needed for this decoding and motion processing; however most modern computers have hardware assisted MPEG and x264 decoders in the video hardware.. so the specific format will have almost no impact on CPU load, but the video resolution and framerate will... a larger resolution and/or more frames are inherently going to take more resources to process motion detection routines.

if your using an older computer without any x264 video hardware then using the mpeg format would be much faster to decode; trying to decode x264 HD in software alone is quite intensive even for modern i7 cpu's

Reaction score
Thanks, I was just reading and noticed the original poster mentioned iframes. Ive been running some Cisco WVC80n cams for a couple years now and added some foscams, and installed blueiris recently and never seen anything about iframes. I was using the cams themselves for motion detection and a NAS for storage. Loving blueiris though. I dont know why I didnt install and use it earlier. Sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
iframes would be configured @ the IPCam; if possible.. if you cannot change them and your experiencing issues where the first few moments of events are "ripped" in half then suddenly the whole video blinks in your best option would be to increase the pre-record buffers; add enough time to capture an iframe before the event.

this video of mine was recorded externally from the stream; if you notice for the first ~3s or so its waiting on a complete iframe; until then the video is ripped.

markh

n3wb
Reaction score
Gday ,

Thankyou all for your help with this issue. Im now running the Camera and BlueIris at 6 frames per second. Direct-to-Disk option has been enabled some months ago.

Here is example of the missing frames issue.

Has anyone seen this issue ?
its similar to the one seen by nayr's youtube clip above.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In Blue iris go to the video tab of the camera, uncheck adjust automatically, then change the frame rate to higher than the current fps set in the camera...set it to 10 (if your current fps is 8)...

markh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman ,

Ive adjusted Blueiris as advised, Adjust Automatically was already unchecked. So im now running 6FPS at the Hikvision Camera and 10FPS in the Video Tab of Blueiris. Closed BlueIris and Restarted it.

Ill wait for some more events to be recorded and report back.

Thankyou so much for your assistance, id really like to get this working reliably.

markh

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, I've had 4 events recorded since my last post. Here is the one from this morning which has the freeze in it. The other three do not have any freeze's.

Fenderman - After re-reading one of your earlier posts regarding pre-trigger frames , now that im at 6FPS on the camera, im running 36 pre-triger frame buffer size (Which appears to have fixed the issue of getting the start of my recording captured).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
36 pretrigger frames should give you around 6 seconds of pretrigger at 6fps ...
Are these cameras hardwired ? or running via powerline or something else?
Try setting your bitrate to constant instead of variable...
This issue seems to happen when using direct to disk...

markh

n3wb
Reaction score
Gday fenderman, thankyou as always for your feedback with this.

It goes Hikvision Camera -> Cat6 cable -> 100mb POE 4 port Switch (Only 1 port used) -> Cat6 cable -> 1GB 4 port Router -> Cat6 cable -> HP Gen8 Microserver 1GB network port.

Ill chage the birate and get some more samples. Failing that, ill then try removing Direct to Disk. 1 change at a time to isolate the fault.