Recording on alerts issue

Reaction score
Hi,

After upgrading to the latest 64bit version of BI I have an issue with recording on triggers for a cloned camera.

I have the main camera setup to record continously and also generate alerts when any movement is detected. This works fine.

I then have a cloned camera setup to record only on alerts which I have a zone setup for.

On the cloned camera the alert is generated but when I open the alert it's a single jpg and no recording has been made.

Before the latest update it was working as expected. If I opened the alert it would play the recording. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

As a test I also set the cloned camera to record continuously but this produced no recordings either.

Regards
Rob

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have seen another member reporting this same behavior just a couple days ago (can't find exact thread though). This may be related to your first camera being recorded continuously though. If you tell the continuous record camera to not record for a bit and test camera #2 alerts, does it start recording in camera #2?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think that other member was me!!

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about knightsfield. The alert that is generated looks like a motion alert (it even shows a duration of the motion, right?), but it is just a still image. As soon as I removed the continuous record version of the camera, everything worked as it should.

Reaction score
Yes the alert shows the duration but is just a still image.

I just tried turning off the continuous record on the other camera and after a restart of the service the alerts are back working.

I've then put the continuous record back and restarted the service. The alert camera is still working OK but the continuous recording camera alerts are now just jpgs and it doesn't look to be continuously recording whereas the alert camera looks to now be continously recording even though it set to just record on triggers.

vulpes

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, and it appeared after the latest update. After I tried a full re-install of Blue Iris, the cloned continuous recordings refused to start, before the trigger cameras were disabled. When I turned the triggers on again, everything seemed to be ok for about 1-2 hours. Then it was back to the behaviour with trigger JPEGs. What's weird is that it doesn't happen to all cameras. 6 of 9 have this behaviour, 3 are normal. They're both Hikvision and Dahua, even a 640x480 d-link camera.

After some probing, I think I might have located the problem, or at least found a way around it. I noticed that the cameras that were normal, were pulling two streams from the camera, one for each of the clones. This was because I had set one to be the generic rtsp stream, and the other to be the camera specific during setup(not on purpose). When I set them both to be the same, they pulled one stream again, and the JPEG showed up.

After some more experimentation, it also seems like turning off direct to disk on one of the cameras also fixes the problem. So the two solutions I found is either pulling one stream to each clone, or turning off direct to disk recording. Neither is optimal, but at least you get moving alerts again, until a patch can fix this. I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Reaction score
Just checked my setup and both were set to pull the same stream.

Set the alert camera to not use direct to disk. Restarted BI and everything is working as expected.

Great advice thank you

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Might be a workaround for the time being, but it should also be reported to the developer so he can put a fix in for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I reported the issue and received a response that the latest version might fix the issue which has just been made available.

Initial testing does look like its fixed