Recording only a rolling 3 days

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a HIKvision 7600 series NVR that is recording only a rolling 3 days. I've looked at the storage settings and can see no settings that would do this. Any suggestions appreciated.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How many cameras and what are encoding parameters set at. How big of a HDD do you have?

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Expired time is 0 days for all cameras. I tired changing that to 30, making sure I save settings. But when I go back in to look, the settings are back at 0.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update. After posting this, I decided to reformat my HDD which is 1 terabyte. After rechecking expired time under Storage, expired time was 0. I tried changing it to 30 days and this time it did not revert back to 0, but stayed set at 30 days. Not sure if reformatting had anything to do with my being able to stick the settings. I will watch it and post results. Thanks for driving me to look at this again.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried changing it to 30 days and this time it did not revert back to 0, but stayed set at 30 days.
I'm guessing that setting it to 0 in the settings for cameras (as my NVRs have it) says "do not expire", and will simply rely on the HDD overwrite to manage the space.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1tb? That's nothing...if you are recording continuous don't expect more than a few days...as others have asked how many cams and what are your settings.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh I see and thanks. setting to no expire (0) is what I want. I have seven cameras. They are all set as follwos:

Settings below for all 7 cameras:

1. Resolution 1920 X 1080P
2. Bitrate constant
3. Video Quality Medium
4. Frame rate 30 fps
5. Max Bitrate 5120
6. H.264 OFF
7. Stream type Main Stream

Please give me recommendations on Hard Drive size for 30 day coverage all cameras. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I see and thanks. setting to no expire (0) is what I want. I have seven cameras. They are all set as follwos:

Settings below for all 7 cameras:

1. Resolution 1920 X 1080P
2. Bitrate constant
3. Video Quality Medium
4. Frame rate 30 fps
5. Max Bitrate 5120
6. H.264 OFF
7. Stream type Main Stream

Please give me recommendations on Hard Drive size for 30 day coverage all cameras. Thanks.
you will need to lower your bitrate significantly and/or set it to VBR variable bitrate... do your NVR and cams support h.265? You dont need 30fps..drop it to 15 and lower your bitrate.
im surprised you got 3 days on 1tb...if you really did get 3 days worth on 1tb then, if you keep the settings the same, you will need at least 10tb...there are various only calculators you can use...remember the only thing that matters in the end is the bitrate.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
As per above posts, do also evaluate the need for 24/7 recording - you might have "enough" with (only) motion detection / IVS. However, many people explained here that having like 15-30 minutes footage is welcomed by police.

1 TB is "nothing" in todays business. Disks are cheap!

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Federman, Catcamstar and Alastair for this info. I will use the storage calculator for sure. Not sure if my NVR and Cams support h.265. I will look into the specs as well as the benefits of changing to h.265. Also it looks like investing in a larger Hard Drive will be a good investment but before I do that , I want to use optimum settings as recommended.

I need help with bitrate and what you recommend setting it to. Thanks.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys! As you indicated it was all about these settings. I used what was recommended and last checked, I am up to 11 days! Thanks much. I just need to look at a larger drive based upon how many days before it starts rewriting over old data.