Recording stops while there is still motion in view

Reaction score
Is there a setting for max recording length? Because it seems my recordings start when motion is detected but does not keep recording while motion continues. It is obvious things are missing from my recordings.

For example, a truck stopped in front of my house, a guy got out and walked around the truck to pick up a bicycle that someone left in the street, the guy bends over to pick it up, and then the recording stops mid-action.

Any thoughts on settings I might check?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a setting for max recording length? Because it seems my recordings start when motion is detected but does not keep recording while motion continues. It is obvious things are missing from my recordings.

For example, a truck stopped in front of my house, a guy got out and walked around the truck to pick up a bicycle that someone left in the street, the guy bends over to pick it up, and then the recording stops mid-action.

Any thoughts on settings I might check?
yes, its called BREAK time.
you also likely have your settings way too restrictive causing smaller movements not to trigger. post your settings.

Reaction score
Here are some screenshots of settings for this cam. It is pretty much defaults except for pre-trigger video buffer. I bumped that up because I was having cars appear on the recording as if they were beamed there by a Star Trek transporter (they came out of nowhere). I wanted the recordings to show the cars approaching too...

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would enable highlighting and go walk that area and see where your red boxes go to green. Also I have the object size and contrast set more sensitive on most of my cameras than your is. I'm not an authority by any means but that is what I do when that problem comes up.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try increasing your break time to somewhere between 30-60 seconds.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you will need to post an image of the scene, if the target is far from the camera, you will need to decrease the trigger size and uncheck the 100 pixel movement limit.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ive had this too and my settings are waaay more sensitive. When testing motion is it green box, or red box that triggers the recording to start? I assumed red was the trigger. What does green mean? I actually was reviewing a video through the motion detector and had the recording stop with a huge red box around a person 4' in front of the camera. Its not typical and usually the camera triggering works correctly.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive had this too and my settings are waaay more sensitive. When testing motion is it green box, or red box that triggers the recording to start? I assumed red was the trigger. What does green mean? I actually was reviewing a video through the motion detector and had the recording stop with a huge red box around a person 4' in front of the camera. Its not typical and usually the camera triggering works correctly.

post your settings and the scene.....note the certain motion settings are profile specific..
also note that when using direct to disk, recording starts at the iframe, so you should not have large iframe intervals set in the camera...match the iframe interval to the fps. If the person stops and does not move the recording will stop after the break time you set has elapsed.
From the help file
Object Detection

The Object detection option (previously "object detect/reject") provides for more advanced motion analysis. After analyzing the image for overall change, an additional algorithm is applied which attempts to identify regions within the image where motion is occurring. If you have the Highlight and rectangles feature enabled, you will see these regions represented by green and red rectangles. It is the size of the rectangle that is compared against the Size sensitivity setting. When a green object rectangle has triggered the camera, it will become red.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok. I will post all settings and see if I can find the video as well.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just to clarify, if a box never turns red, the camera shouldnt trigger right? I get all kinds of videos where video was triggered but the motion detection test run never shows any red box.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, if a box never turns red, the camera shouldnt trigger right? I get all kinds of videos where video was triggered but the motion detection test run never shows any red box.

Yes.. unless you setup some external trigger source like a pir or the cameras own motion detection..

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes.. unless you setup some external trigger source like a pir or the cameras own motion detection..
Nope. And this happens to me a LOT with 2 seperate installations. So its obviously something I'm doing wrong. How can I upload video so that you can see the motion detection boxes?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. And this happens to me a LOT with 2 seperate installations. So its obviously something I'm doing wrong. How can I upload video so that you can see the motion detection boxes?

I think you would have to use a screen capture program because it was not recorded in the original video...
Also confirm that object detection was enabled at the time the video was recorded because otherwise it would trigger based on the motion settings alone not the object detection that is referenced by the red and green boxes.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok @fenderman if this is bad form delete my post and I will create a new thread. I figured this was relevant to the OP so perhaps it's ok.

I am posting a link to a Google Drive shared folder containing folders of each camera with example videos and pictures of settings. Bandwidth Warning: I didn't resize anything including videos and all were shot with my phone. You may want to avoid using mobile data. I also know everybody here is busy so I doubt you will watch all the clips I posted but I have many especially in the Shop Door Cam folder. I know this is something I am doing wrong or am confused about. I have like 8 second pre-trigger buffers trying to make sure I don't miss stuff etc. I thank you in advance for pointing out my mistakes. I did fix the iframe interval and BI max frame rate as seen between 2 pictures in the one folder. The iFrame was 2x the framerate before I made the change. Taking these pictures made me look at all the settings again lol.

IP Cam Talk - Google Drive

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok @fenderman if this is bad form delete my post and I will create a new thread. I figured this was relevant to the OP so perhaps it's ok.

I am posting a link to a Google Drive shared folder containing folders of each camera with example videos and pictures of settings. Bandwidth Warning: I didn't resize anything including videos and all were shot with my phone. You may want to avoid using mobile data. I also know everybody here is busy so I doubt you will watch all the clips I posted but I have many especially in the Shop Door Cam folder. I know this is something I am doing wrong or am confused about. I have like 8 second pre-trigger buffers trying to make sure I don't miss stuff etc. I thank you in advance for pointing out my mistakes. I did fix the iframe interval and BI max frame rate as seen between 2 pictures in the one folder. The iFrame was 2x the framerate before I made the change. Taking these pictures made me look at all the settings again lol.

IP Cam Talk - Google Drive
start with using the simple algorithm not Gaussian...then uncheck high definition...
next watch the video on zone crossing here Blue Iris Video Tutorials
you need to leave space between the zones.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
start with using the simple algorithm not Gaussian...then uncheck high definition...
next watch the video on zone crossing here Blue Iris Video Tutorials
you need to leave space between the zones.
Ok. I will do all that and report back. Thanks!

PS. I didn't even use zones for the longest time. Just recently started using them trying to fix some of these issues. Thanks for the vid. So much knowledge on this forum!

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow great videos. I just completely re-did the zones and crossings with the server I can remote into (the other is on a network with no internet). I left gaps between zones, but created a full frame "G" zone like in the video. I also did as you stated changed to simple algorithm and unchecked high definition. Will keep an eye on things. Thanks, Andrew