Recording to network PC

Reaction score
I have two Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I cameras (US Versions) recording to 64 Gig micro SD cards inside the cameras. I have a Windows 7 PC on the same network subnet that is used as a TV server (Windows Media Center). Can I make a partitiion on one of the two hard drives and record there? The storage settings only show "NAS." Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I make a partitiion on one of the two hard drives and record there?
Yes, you can.
You will see in the dropdown for Mounting Type there are 2 choices - NFS (usually a NAS box or Linux device) and SMB/CIFS (Usually a Windows box or NAS box).
So you can create a shareable volume for the camera to use under Windows with the SMB/CIFS choice.

But there is a caveat - depending on the camera firmware version there is a maximum volume size (not free space) that the camera will 'format'.
For the 5.2.5 firmware that ceiling is around 200GB.
I believe it's higher on newer firmware - but I'm not sure where it changes and by how much.
Hopefully others who have done this may comment.

Reaction score
Yes, you can.
You will see in the dropdown for Mounting Type there are 2 choices - NFS (usually a NAS box or Linux device) and SMB/CIFS (Usually a Windows box or NAS box).
So you can create a shareable volume for the camera to use under Windows with the SMB/CIFS choice.

But there is a caveat - depending on the camera firmware version there is a maximum volume size (not free space) that the camera will 'format'.
For the 5.2.5 firmware that ceiling is around 200GB.
I believe it's higher on newer firmware - but I'm not sure where it changes and by how much.
Hopefully others who have done this may comment.
Thank you for the post! I am running firmware version 5.4.5 build 170123 on both cameras. I will probably try this when time permits. Current 64 gig micro SD cards are barely adequate, but I want to add a camera that does not have a micro SD slot - Hikvision DS-2CD2085FWD-I.