Recordings not getting deleted or archived

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After rebuilding my system due to the SSD failing (the SSD controller possibly failed from getting too warm causing it to not be seen by the system), I attempted to use the rebuilt system with the bi db on the d drive (a 3 TB WD purple drive where the bi recordings are stored and is also in the same local computer), I discovered that my recordings were no longer being archived and deleted once the set size limits were reached (no deleted or file moving logs either). This caused the drive to run out of space before I realized that there was an issue. Once I moved the db back to the c drive (the SSD drive where only the OS, apps, & now BI db are located) everything started to work as it should again. It's possible that my attempts to refresh / rebuild the db just didn't work for some reason before moving the db back to the primary drive, but the system undoubtedly performs better if the db is kept on the SSD as opposed to the spinning (local) hd.

Has anyone else had similar issues when moving the db to a secondary but still local drive?
I did some forum browsing / reading and found others with similar issues after moving the storage locations and not rebuilding the db afterwards. I did attempt to do this but for some reason all it did at the time was purge the db and did not complete a scan and rebuild. Once I moved the db back to the c: drive and then selected repair db it worked like it should and resumed normal archiving / deleting space management behaviors...

When reading the documentation, I noticed that it mentions keeping the db on a local fast drive so I didn't initially foresee a potential issue. My mindset of moving the db to the (still local) d drive was that I could set it to also synchronize with my Onedrive folders so it could also be backed up in the case of a lost drive, but since the db can be easily rebuilt and with files in use being locked, they would also be limited to successful syncs if constantly being in use. I limited my clips files to 1 hr to help reduce the potential issue of files only syncing or archiving once they are closed and unlocked.

Last edited:

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The system definitely appears to work best with the db on the c: / SSD drive so I'll keep it there.

Other site members such as PSPCommOp have said:
"Also, I recently learned this but when you set up BI, keep the software files on the SSD AND the database files there too. Everything else should go on the larger HDD."
This a good deal for a Dell BI build? (post # 8)

I've come across at least one person saying that he uses a system with only an SSD for everything, but he also probably doesn't record any cameras on a 24/7 basis like I do with a few cameras to ensure particular areas never skip a beat. I'd imagine that if I did have my system record to an SSD and only use the HD or NAS for extended storage, then I would probably end up wearing out the write cycles of an SSD in a matter of xx days or x months.... Having a system that will be prone to a higher rate of randomly going offline would also not be a good thing if the goal is to minimize potential downtime.

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This thread has had many views but no comments yet and I pretty much figured it out myself, but at least it might help others with similar issues or questions. As equipment / service prices come down and ISP speeds increase, the way systems get built and such will definitely change over time.

h_2_o

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm curious what was your solution. I'm on 4.5.3.5 x64 and am having a similar issue. boot drive is m.2 ssd, that is where the DB and new files are. I have a large striped set of drives for the archived files, however it is not archiving according to the limit i am setting. basically i run out of room daily, I have to reboot and it starts copying over the archived files at that point but nothing else seems to work not even stopping and re-starting the bi service. It is really becomming a pain any ideas on what to try?

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
h_2_o,

In case you didn't see it above, I edited my initial posting with my fix and have also pasted it below.

"Once I moved the db back to the c: drive and then selected repair db it worked like it should and resumed normal archiving / deleting space management behaviors..."

Did you get the issue resolved and if so what was the problem?

My system (Dell OptiPlex 3020 SFF, i7-4790, 8GB RAM) is currently running stable as configured below:

Running (13 Dahua turret style) 3 or 4 MP IP cams and 4 record 24/7

120 GB SSD for the primary c: drive (OS / Win 10 Pro 15063.138 , BI ver. 4.5.3.7 x64, & DB)
3 TB WD purple drive (primary new recording drive)
5 TB external USB 3.0 drive (archive, getting around 3-4 weeks storage retention)

I currently set my OneDrive to disable syncing due to my ISP possibly throttling my service (or just getting bogged down) due to potentially excessive size file uploads. If I resume OneDrive syncing, I may have it only sync motion detection snapshots instead of video to help cut down on the excessive amount of file syncs. The OneDrive program doesn't currently have an option to only sync a particular file type so this would probably require something such as moving / saving the snapshots to separate folder and then having OneDrive sync it...

Last edited: