Recover from reboot loop

Testermax

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 2cd2532iws chinese version, which I tried to flash with an american image. Bad choice! Now I want to revert the changes. I see alot of nice guides in how to do this, but they all starts with connecting with tftp. My problem is that my camera wont cinnect to the tftp server. When I ping the camera, I get three responsd and then I loose connection. After a while I get three new responds. It seems my camera is in a powerloop state. How do I get out of this?

Testermax

n3wb
Reaction score
I downloaded the hikvision specific tftp server. I only get the "initialized" entry in the log...

Testermax

n3wb
Reaction score
Im using the "5.30 Downgradeer 4 lines" and "5.30 Downgrader" packages. I followed the guides there, with no luck. Im stuck in the "initialized" state.

I believe I have to get out of the reboot loop that occurs, before the camre can connect to the tftp server.

At the moment, I get three ping replies before the camre reboots... :-(

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I have to get out of the reboot loop that occurs, before the camre can connect to the tftp server.
No, the 'probe for tftp updater' is done by the bootloader just after power-on.
The bootloop is later when the Linux kernel starts up and at some point objects to the running environment, reasons can be various, and reboots.
Not that it will make a difference at this point - but the 1-line downgrader is a safer choice.
Presumably you are pinging the camera at a 192.0.0.64 IP address?
And the PC is set to a 192.0.0.128 IP address?
And the Windows firewall has an inbound allow rule for 'tftpserve.exe'?

It is possible that your camera has a later, modified bootloader that no longer has the 'probe for tftp updater' feature.
Hikvision removed the tftp updater download quite a while back with the intention of phasing it out.
The next step, and not too hard in practice, would be to connect to the serial console on the camera main board.
Required is a Serial TTL to USB convertor (PL2303HX-based works OK), and a 4-pin 1.5mm micro jst zh connector.
Quite a few posts on 'How-to' for this method.

Testermax

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the good explanation! Youre right that my problem was the ehhmmmm..firewall. When I allowed tftp, the camera connected! And I get all the way to step four, never get the finished state...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The real test though is to leave it say 5 mins for the flash to be written, and power cycle and then hope for a result.

Testermax

n3wb
Reaction score
Did not have any luck using "5.30 Downgradeer 4 lines" and "5.30 Downgrader" packages. It hangs at "Completed Fil[....] transmit"
I have been waiting an hour, so I gues this wont work :-(

Is "the 1-line downgrader" the same as "5.30 Downgrader"?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is "the 1-line downgrader" the same as "5.30 Downgrader"?
Yes, that's the original 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader.

Another variable is the language of the camera (you've indicated Chinese) vs the language of the firmware header.
These need to match for the tftp updater to accept the firmware.
The language of the firmware header can be seen with the Hiktools tool, and changed between 1 (EN) and 2 (CN) with it's 'lang' command-line option.
Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware
After the file transmit, a 5 minute max wait for flash writing should be plenty before trying a reboot.

Testermax

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks alotalastairstevenson!
I finally can log into my camera :)

Final question: Does this mean that Im not able to upgrade my firmware on the camera?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I finally can log into my camera
Excellent! Another good result for the @whoslooking downgrader.
Final question: Does this mean that Im not able to upgrade my firmware on the camera?
Well, there is a school of thought, and I do agree, that for R0 cameras the 5.2.5 firmware is s decent spot to be in.
Many of the firmware changes going forward are aimed at tripping up customers who have purchased Chinese market cameras for use outside China, and making it harder to mess with them.

Testermax

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been very pleased with fw 5.2.5 for a long time. It because I have tried to incorporate the Linedetection and Intrution detection sensors into HomeAssistant, that I wanted to raise the firmware, since it doesnt seem to work correctly with 5.2.5.
But I guess I have to submit an issue to the pyHik github repo instead.

Thanks again for the fantastic support!