Recs for remote system

offgridder

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All!

I've been lurking on the board for a while, reading and learning. Having done web development for lots of years, I appreciate the many levels of expertise that video surveillance and security requires - it's a discipline, in and of itself. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum; I've learned a ton, and feel like I'm just scratching the surface.

We have a remote property that's just close enough to civilization that theft/trespass have been an issue. For a few years we've used a StealthCam GSM camera and game cams with SD cards to monitor the property, but it's time for an upgrade. We need to monitor 4 locations on the property: 2 gates and 2 water tanks. All the locations will be solar/battery powered and utilize multiple cameras. Every camera will have POE.

Based on what I've learned on this forum, I believe the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) is ideal camera for our application. To supplement these cameras, I'd like to couple them with cheaper cameras (that will be placed outside of gates, and thus much more vulnerable to theft and vandalism). At the moment, we're considering something like the Amcrest IPM-743E.

In total, we're looking at 11 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z's and 4 Amcrest IPM-743E's. We're planning on using Blue Iris on a PC. My questions are:
- How much power, *practically* does the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z consume? The documentation (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 | Dahua Technology) shows <11.5W. Does that mean that it's consuming that amount 24/7? Are these cameras in a "sleep"/low-power state, until motion is detected?
- Will an HP Elitedesk 800, similar to HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Intel Core i7-6700 CPU@3.40Ghz 16GB 256SSD Windows 10 Pro | eBay handle 11 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z's and 4 Amcrest IPM-743E's?
- What $75 or less, camera would you recommend for a gate? Does anyone have experience with the Amcrest IPM-743E'? This camera will be placed within a few meters of the road and license plate recognition is it's priority.

Thanks again for all the help on this forum!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are these cameras in a "sleep"/low-power state, until motion is detected?
No. More power is used at night when the IR leds are on, less during the day. There are fairly precise power measurements in one of @nayr's threads (search the thread).

Last edited:

offgridder

n3wb
Reaction score
@tangent - Thank you very much! That's the info I'll need to spec out the panels and batteries to power the sites.

offgridder

n3wb
Reaction score
Does any have comments on the PC specs or a cheap/sacrificial cameras?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does any have comments on the PC specs or a cheap/sacrificial cameras?
Hi Offgridder,

I have an amcrest bullet camera similar to those you are looking at, however w/3MP - Andy ( EmpireTecAndy ) should be able to supply a similar Dahua OEM model. ( xxx1320x )

There are probably a few other good options to try also. Note, I found the junction box for that one to be a bit smaller than I liked compared to the ones I used for the larger Turret.