Regarding Camera Modes and In-House Use

bigeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Something isn't entirely clear to me from what I've read regarding camera modes and day/night use, especially in-house. Hopefully, someone can put me straight :)

I've noted that cameras from the likes of Dahua have optimised modes for daytime and nighttime usage. And i've noted that it's possible to schedule switching between the two at sunrise/sunset. However, how is the situation handled where an in-house camera is in "night-mode" and someone turns on the lights? Doesn't that blind the camera and make it useless?

Regards,
Dave

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,
Something isn't entirely clear to me from what I've read regarding camera modes and day/night use, especially in-house. Hopefully, someone can put me straight :)

I've noted that cameras from the likes of Dahua have optimised modes for daytime and nighttime usage. And i've noted that it's possible to schedule switching between the two at sunrise/sunset. However, how is the situation handled where an in-house camera is in "night-mode" and someone turns on the lights? Doesn't that blind the camera and make it useless?

Regards,
Dave
You'll have the same effect as if you were walking on a dark road and someone turns on their headlights towards you: your eyes need to adapt. The cam will need "some" time to switch back to the "other mode". It is a more "gradient" switchover when the sun comes up, the ambient light is increasing more and more and you'll have a more gentle switch (but there is always a switch).

In any case, it does help to not aim your cam to any light source, as that will for sure annoy the camera at best.

What I did in my house: to avoid people turning on the "large lights" inhouse: I've installed some PIR sensors which turn on built-in-wall lamps (eg https://www.led-verlichting.org/images/Sideline-square-led-wall-li.jpg) which are not only handy (as they point down and do not really mess with my camera views), but they have a high WAF: if the misses is thirsty at night, she doesn't want to get blasted awake with intensive lights :)

Hope this helps!
CC