remote access issues

Whiteman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Im new to all this and I apologise if I am re-asking a question that has been answered a million times but.

Ive been trying to setup remote access to blue iris v5 using the method set out in the remote access wizard. I belive that my problem is port forwarding. Ive been attempting to sort the issue for the last couple of hours only to discover that my ISP has me on a dynamic ip and this is likely my problem.

Apparently I can pay extra to get a static ip but I was wondering if there was any other way around this?

Im loving my camera setup and everything is working as it should locally but the whole point was to be able to watch my house when Im not there.

thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most folks have dynamic IP addresses. IMO, there are some pretty easy workarounds for that, so I personally would not pay extra for a static IP address. Probably best to get remote access working first before trying to tackle this issue, though.

Which port did you pick for remote access? Many ISPs block port 80.

dragoneggs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having the same or similar problem. I can view my cams using UI3 interface app on my laptop or iPad via my home network but cannot if I try over the internet. I'm using port 81. Wondering if there is a router setting I need to change. Also have a dynamic IP address.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having the same or similar problem. I can view my cams using UI3 interface app on my laptop or iPad via my home network but cannot if I try over the internet. I'm using port 81. Wondering if there is a router setting I need to change. Also have a dynamic IP address.
If you have not port forwarded, it wont work.
Better yet see the vpn for noobs in the wiki.

dragoneggs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have not port forwarded, it wont work.
Better yet see the vpn for noobs in the wiki.
Yes I think it is time for VPN. I use VPN on my business laptop but have corporate IT guys handle that. My laptop is locked down hard due to requirements by our best customers. So hard, it gives me fits when traveling. I will attempt to create a VPN so I can access from my iPad that I carry for personal use.