Remote access trouble after 2 smooth years

cgrainger

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had no issues accessing BI remotely for over 2 years, either via the app or via a browser. I can access via the app over the LAN with no issues, just can't when I'm not home. I checked the port forwarding on the router and it's as it was when I initially set it up with the correct port, 8181, forwarded to the correct machine. I have port 80 on the same machine open for HomeSeer and have no issues connecting to that.

This weirdness started about a month ago and BI is the only service I'm having trouble with. Any pointers would be appreciated cause I've run out of places to look.

Cheers!

Chris

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had no issues accessing BI remotely for over 2 years, either via the app or via a browser. I can access via the app over the LAN with no issues, just can't when I'm not home. I checked the port forwarding on the router and it's as it was when I initially set it up with the correct port, 8181, forwarded to the correct machine. I have port 80 on the same machine open for HomeSeer and have no issues connecting to that.

This weirdness started about a month ago and BI is the only service I'm having trouble with. Any pointers would be appreciated cause I've run out of places to look.

Cheers!

Chris
did your external ip change? did the machines lan ip change?

cgrainger

n3wb
Reaction score
did your external ip change? did the machines lan ip change?
The machine's IP is static and reserved in the router's DHCP tables. The external IP has changed many times since I set it up. I have a script running that emails me when it does and I manually change it in the app edit screen. Also, the Check IP button works when I'm at home, showing both the internal and external IP's. I'm stumped.

Cheers!

Chris

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The machine's IP is static and reserved in the router's DHCP tables. The external IP has changed many times since I set it up. I have a script running that emails me when it does and I manually change it in the app edit screen. Also, the Check IP button works when I'm at home, showing both the internal and external IP's. I'm stumped.

Cheers!

Chris
disable the firewall and test.

cgrainger

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, ok. I don't think I have a software firewall running on that machine, but I won't be able to test until the weekend. Thanks for the suggestion and I will let you know what I find out.

Cheers!

Chris

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. I don't think I have a software firewall running on that machine, but I won't be able to test until the weekend. Thanks for the suggestion and I will let you know what I find out.

Cheers!

Chris
windows has one built in

cgrainger

n3wb
Reaction score
Back again.

As I suspected, I don't have a firewall running on the machine. I disabled the windows built-in one when I built the box. Testing out a few other things but I'm thinking I'm going to have to blow Blue Iris away and reinstall. Funny thing is that I have HomeSeer running on the same box, listening on a different port.... and I can access that from remote. I'll let you know what I find out if anyone is interested.

Chris

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Back again.

As I suspected, I don't have a firewall running on the machine. I disabled the windows built-in one when I built the box. Testing out a few other things but I'm thinking I'm going to have to blow Blue Iris away and reinstall. Funny thing is that I have HomeSeer running on the same box, listening on a different port.... and I can access that from remote. I'll let you know what I find out if anyone is interested.

Chris
you should be running a firewall on any machine exposed to the internet...

cgrainger

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi fender man,

Yup, I know that. Hardware firewall. Did take it out of the picture with no luck. Still testing. Gonna try another port. Then another box.

Cheers!

Chris

cgrainger

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey fenderman,

I figured it out. My ISP had switched to NAT and I didn't notice it. I did go ahead and try another port, and set up another box with the same resulting problem... no access outside my home network. I was working on it this weekend and finally noticed the WAN address on my router in the 100 range.... while checkmyip was showing 199 range... A quick email to my ISP confirmed the NAT change and also got them to flip a switch and give me a proper public IP. Working now.

thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Chris