Remote access Vstarcam C7837WIP without Eye4 app?

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this camera can be accessed over the internet without using the Eye4 app? (i.e. via a personal DDNS address and port forwarding)?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this camera can be accessed over the internet without using the Eye4 app? (i.e. via a personal DDNS address and port forwarding)?
From looking at the specs, it appears that it could be used that way. Look in your routers Dns log and see if you find its local IP address.

Or look in cams setup screen.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can find the IP address (there's a Vstarcam camera finder application to do it), but both the IP address and access port change every time the camera restarts (probably a security measure) and there's no way that I can see to make the port and IP address static. There's another program which does this in theory, but in practice the changes don't stick.
I have older models of this camera from last year, with different firmware, and that firmware has a web config GUI with full configurability of static IP address and port, but this version seems to be "simplified" to take away those config options.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
both the IP address and access port change every time the camera restarts (probably a security measure)
Possible I suppose, but unlikely. How would it avoid a clash with other devices on the network that were not switched on at the time?
Also, LAN IP address ranges can vary, so which one would it pick?
there's no way that I can see to make the port and IP address static
As an experiment, try setting a DHCP reservation in your router/DHCP server.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Possible I suppose, but unlikely. How would it avoid a clash with other devices on the network that were not switched on at the time?
Also, LAN IP address ranges can vary, so which one would it pick?

As an experiment, try setting a DHCP reservation in your router/DHCP server.
I guess DHCP would give it an available IP address from the pool, and the camera would give itself a random port number, so no danger of any clashes. A DHCP reservation might stabilise the IP address but not the port number.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A DHCP reservation might stabilise the IP address but not the port number.
So at least you'd be over half way to where you want to be.
To prove your theory about ports, you could then use nmap to show what ports are open.

zikad

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it has RTSP port 10554 open, and it also has an HTTP port 9999 open.
You can access the HTTP port 9999 through your browser, e.g.: http://<cam-ip>:9999/monitor2.htm#
In the browser, you can view and control the cam directly, or you can change various settings.

Or you can access the stream directly with: http://<cam-ip>:9999/videostream.cgi?user=<username>&amp;pwd=<password>