Remote access

mschauer

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using BI for a couple of weeks tweaking settings to prevent false alerts. Now I've moved on to trying to get remote access to work and I'm stumped. When I try to connect using the BI machines external IP I get a connection timeout error.

- I have the BI web server enabled to use port 8888
- My router is configured to forward port 8888 to my BI machine
- I've used Port Forward Network Utilities on the BI machine to verify the port is open. I did have to disable the BI web server before this utility would work so I think that verifies that the BI web server is listening on port 8888
- I can connect to the BI web server from a LAN machine using the BI machine local IP and port 8888 but not using the BI machine external IP
- I have Windows Firewall disabled.

I think everything is configured correctly and yet I can't access the BI web server using the BI machine external IP either from within the LAN or from an external machine.

I would so appreciate some troubleshooting help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! go to blue iris options> users> select the user and ensure that lan only is not selected. Also im assuming that you selected no authentication for testing purposes, but dont forget to enable it (if that is what you want)..
EDIT: also, are you trying to log in remotely or using your external ip from your internal network? If its the latter then the issue may be related to nat loopback (common in modem/router combos)....test the connection from your cell phone (not connected to wifi) or from a remote location.

mschauer

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, son of a gun. I can access from my cell phone.

Thanks fenderman!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool, so its the router/modem combo and nat loopback...it doesnt matter at all...just use the local address when at home...