remote camera instllation and multi streaming from headoffice through VPN Tunnel.

Nideeshvv

n3wb
Reaction score
We have a new warehouse opened in a remote location with 17 x HD cameras, my boss wants to see them from head office with Headoffice cameras in the same NVR, and he also wants to show them in three different monitors for logistics and operation all should have a sperate NVRs for separate access.

here my doubt is, if make a tunnel between warehouse and Office then install the main NVR on Head Office then the secondary NVRs take the camera from the main NVR will it take more bandwidth ? or it takes only for One NVR Bandwidth? is that possible to take a camera from one NVR to others? same as multi-streaming?

can someone suggest me a better setup? the main purpose is to reduce the bandwidth but we need three client stations to streams these 17 cameras at the same time.

zx83

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, how many cameras can the current NVR support? Can you add a POE switch and connect the cameras to the POE switch? If the NVR supports more cameras I would add a POE switch, connect and add the cameras to the one NVR. If you use separate NVR's he would have to switch com NVR to NVR to see them and he may not be happy with that.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
We have a new warehouse opened in a remote location with 17 x HD cameras, my boss wants to see them from head office with Headoffice cameras in the same NVR, and he also wants to show them in three different monitors for logistics and operation all should have a sperate NVRs for separate access.

here my doubt is, if make a tunnel between warehouse and Office then install the main NVR on Head Office then the secondary NVRs take the camera from the main NVR will it take more bandwidth ? or it takes only for One NVR Bandwidth? is that possible to take a camera from one NVR to others? same as multi-streaming?

can someone suggest me a better setup? the main purpose is to reduce the bandwidth but we need three client stations to streams these 17 cameras at the same time.
It would help if you tell us:
- which NVR you got. POE ports? # channels? # ethernet ports?
- how your ISP rates are (uplink/downlink bandwidth)
- which router/gateways you have in place (eg that can serve as VPN server/client/Site2Site setup)

In general terms: my advice would be to create a site2site setup which is open all the time. In case you would have a Dahua NVR, channel 0 represents a "mosaic" which saves bandwidth if you project that stream on a TV. But if you want (one of the) substreams to get full screen in case of alarm/IVS, you'd need a (lightweight) NVR at the endpoint. Other options are putting an android/TV stick which connects to your NVR at the other site.

Ample options, but all depending on these initial questions. You wouldn't be the first to saturate the ISP WAN line so nobody can surf the internet anymore.

Hope this helps!
CC

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This will not be easy.

You will need fast internet at both locations. You should be able to easily calculate how much bandwidth is needed (if you don't know how, then you are the wrong person for this job :)).

The internet connections will need to have no data limits because 17x HD cameras will stream multiple terabytes of data every month.

You will need a fast VPN client and server. A consumer or small business router (from Asus, Netgear, etc) probably will not handle the encryption fast enough for 17x HD main streams, so consider installing the VPN client/server on capable desktop PCs.

You should find software to re-stream RTSP video streams so that you only need to transmit one copy of each stream over the VPN tunnel. Then each of your viewing clients at the head office should get their video from your re-streaming server. You will need to research doing that on your own, but you should be able to do it with free software.