Remote login issues

Endosmok

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am having some issues with remote access to my cameras via the Android Blueiris app.
It's been intermittent at best over the past couple of months. This occurs on the current BI version (4.6.4.4 x64) and the prior one.

Basically it will work once then the next time I try (doesn't matter when) I get the message

Can't reach server.

Everything in the router settings seem good, tests all pass, and I have a static external ip that I have been using for years just fine. I use (and have to) uPNP for port forwarding.

Here's the weird part... I can see the connection in BI of my mobile device coming from the AT&T ip address when it fails. It looks like it connected but doesn't and fails with the message Can't Reach Server but if you look at the connections in status... I can see it there with no activity.

Here's another weird thing....

I am using username and password authentication and those two items are entered in my app settings... but when I check connections whether it connected properly or not it always comes back to anonymous as user even though I just entered a username and password to access it remotely.

When it does fails, I can go into the user accounts... change the password of my user to something different and it will properly login again but again showing anonymous.

Now if actually use an anonymous login it will fail every time. As my settings are not set for remote anonymous logins.

I'm a bit confused on why this is occurring. BI was working remotely fine since I started using it a few years ago.. until the last couple of months.

I do have two Fire tablets that are continually getting feeds from the short URLs of my cameras on my LAN but that's about it.

This also occurs on my wifes phone... sometimes works and sometimes doesn't....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Endosmok

n3wb
Reaction score
No issues on LAN. Users are logged in properly with same devices.

So I just created a new user. And logged in the first time with it from WAN side and it worked just fine (connections showed the proper username connected). I closed the app. Waited a good 4 minutes. Didn't change a thing and attempted to login again, back to failure of Cannot reach server.

I looked in the connections log and I can see it there (not grayed out) coming form AT&T ip but it eventually fades back to gray which I would assume the connection is closed. And I was mistaken before about anonymous... the user name is empty when it fails to login and when it does login for some magical reason it shows as anonymous and not as the username logging in. EXCEPT when I created a new user as listed above and logged in for the first time... everything including user name was looking good.

Here's one more thing to throw in there that Is odd... besides working sometimes and not working at all... there are times when it half way works....

This is where I login, I get no error reaching the server, but on the main page all I get is a gray screen with no cameras. I can access the menu, access settings, info, etc... but if I select camera or clips... nothing shows... session remains active but FRAMES show as 0 and no object is focused.

I can kill the app and login again and then back to those 3 scenarios...

And these same issues are duplicated on my wife's phone (HTC U11) with the official BI app. Very frustrating ... especially when I know it's getting thru the router just fine and is reaching the server (from status in connections).

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is another 2 threads about this on this forum.
No solution so far I think. I have the same problem. But loging out and in again most of he times I can connect after several tries.

Cor

Endosmok

n3wb
Reaction score
Has there been any progress on this issue (bug?)?

The latest update did not fix it. Looks like the same exact issues are happening to other users.

Besides what is listed above....

It can take 4 to 5 remote login attempts to BI before a successful connection is made.

I mean it works eventually but it very annoying to say the least. I do not think it's related to the Android app either, as I have the same issues connecting remotely thru a url link.

Any suggestions or crude workarounds would be appreciated.

Thanks

Endosmok

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to follow up on this remote authentication login issue. The workaround is to just downgrade to a version before it broke. I am back to using 4.4.7.0 and it works like a charm again... so I know this issue isn't on my end.
the other workaround which I didn't want to do is make ALL connections require no authentication, so anonymous worked fine as well. Something's screwy on the authentication changes in the new versions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to follow up on this remote authentication login issue. The workaround is to just downgrade to a version before it broke. I am back to using 4.4.7.0 and it works like a charm again... so I know this issue isn't on my end.
the other workaround which I didn't want to do is make ALL connections require no authentication, so anonymous worked fine as well. Something's screwy on the authentication changes in the new versions.
Have you emailed support? I have not seen this issue... ensure your router is not blocking access...or software firewall...

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Just for laughs, I just disconnected from my phone from WiFi, enabled VPN, and connected to BI 4.6.8.0 using UI3 through an Asus RT-AC68U router with no problem at all. I haven't used remote access for a while and was curious to see if I had the same problem. I guess it could be related, somehow, to the BI phone app. Try UI3 and see if that works.