Remote playback of Sub Stream footage?

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have a DS-7608NI-I2-8P recording four DS-2CD2352-I's and finding that remote playback of the main stream is virtually useless because of the massive file size of the main stream recorded files.

That got me wondering if there was a way to record BOTH the main stream video (so we had high res footage) and also the sub stream, and when I view the remote playback (motion alerts) on my phone via Hik-Connect, I can playback the sub stream instead of the main stream.

Is there a way of doing this?

Live streaming is pretty straight forward as I select the 'Basic' low res option, but I can't find a way to play back recorded footage in low res but also record in high res in case we need to identify a thief etc.

Thanks !

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
Ekk, please delete - I posted this in the NVR forums, can't seem to delete this thread though.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On mid/high end NVRs also do transcoding playback. You can record the main stream, and on playback, you can choose the resolution/bitrate that you want to use for playback, and the NVR will re-encode the stream on real time.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's your internet connections like? I have no issues playing back on 30down/5up internet connection while my cell phone is LTE.

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts all,

I'm on VDSL2 for internet and has an upload speed of 10-20up, so I don't think that is the bottleneck. My phone plan (Telstra) uses LTE and streams HD youtube no worries.

I'll look into the transcoding option a bit more and see if that may help. At the moment I'm encoding the main stream to H265+.

One thing that I though may be a bottleneck is I'm streaming via the Hik-Connect cloud server and I'm not sure what the speed/reliability of it is. I wonder if changing to another service would help? I have a Windows Home Server that has a Microsoft domain thing that I might be able to use?

I might even lodge a enhancement request with Hikvision and ask if it's possible to record both streams in future firmware updates - if it's the sort of thing that can be done via a firmware update. I can see it being a major benefit to have both streams recorded.

Thanks

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What bitrate are you using? The T(HELL)elstra lines are more than enough, and to test just do a simple (gets ready for flame wars) port forward and use the ivms4500 remote view, this will prove the cameras.
I use Optus NBN and although I have 40 up (the only part that stays constant) I have used different bitrates on the main stream from 512 to 16k and no issues, but when i tried to use the hik-connect it was iffy (for me anyways)
On the ivms4500 app on an android you are able to select either clear or fluent for the view, Clear being the highest or main stream and fluent is the lower of sub stream.

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Silas. I'll have a sus of the settings tonight and see what I've got the bitrate set to. It could be I've got it set too high?

Would reducing the bitrate affect the quality of the recorded footage? I'd like to ensure the best quality footage is recorded, just in case....

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, here are the settings. All four cameras have the same settings;

Stream type - Main Stream
Bitrate - Variable (greyed out)
Video Quality - Highest
Frame Rate - 15fps
Video Type - Video
Max Bitrate - Custom - 6144Kbps
Resolution - 2560x1920
I Frame Interval - 50 (greyed out)
Video Encoding Type - TSD_H264
H.264+ - Enabled
Dual-VCA - Enabled

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks

GianniCar

n3wb
Reaction score
Were you able to figure out how to playback in a lower quality? I'm running into the same problem with slow playback. I have the DS-7608ni-k2. I can set the live view to basic with hik connect but not the playback. The playback resolution icon is enabled but there's only 'clear' and 'custom', and if I pick custom it tells me it is not supported on the device.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Were you able to figure out how to playback in a lower quality? I'm running into the same problem with slow playback. I have the DS-7608ni-k2. I can set the live view to basic with hik connect but not the playback. The playback resolution icon is enabled but there's only 'clear' and 'custom', and if I pick custom it tells me it is not supported on the device.
Make sure you are recording both the main and substream. Otherwise there will be no substream to playback, and your device does not support transcoding.

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't have any luck figuring out how to play back the substream. As you mentioned, viewing live feed substream is easy, but I couldn't figure out a way to record in BOTH main stream AND substream, and then be able to choose which playback stream you watch.

Securame mentions above that it's possible, but I dug all through the settings in the recorder and couldn't find anything.

As mentioned before, ideally I'd like to record the main stream in 6k and also a much lower bitrate (substream), and be able to playback the recorded substream via the mobile...

If anyone can point us to the part in the manual that details how to do it, or even better, provide some screen shots it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Securame mentions above that it's possible, but I dug all through the settings in the recorder and couldn't find anything.
Oh, wait a second... for a moment I thought "yes, of course it is possible to record the substream, I am sure I have seen the option!".

Now I went check it on my NVR, and indeed there is an option for reconrding the substream; but it lets you choose main or sub, I think you can not record both of them at the same time?
I am sure it depends on your device, and also on your firmware (the option to record the substream was added in some firmware, it did not come with the old firmwares).

So if you want to record main stream, and have the ability the playback the substream, or a lower quality stream, your best bet is to go for a NVR that supports transcoding.

GianniCar

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. So is there a way to identify, by reading the specs, which NVR supports transcoding? It seems a bunch of the NVRs, including mine, say Recording/playback decoding with several resolutions, I would have expected that spec to be what I'm looking for but either I must be mistaken or the firmware doesn't support it yet. BTW, my firmware is the one before the most recent, so it's only a few months old.

GianniCar

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's our answer to which NVRS support thus mysterious feature, I finally found the manual. It turns out that it's the I series that have it, whether it's 9600, 8600, 7700, or 7600, take a look:

Sep

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an I series NVR (DS-7716NI-I4/16P) and a 4K 8 MP camera (DS-2CD2385FWD-I). The playback on my laptop, which is hardwired to the network is fine but if I try to playback anything from the 4K camera on my tablet using Hik-Connect, the playback is in slow motion. It is 5 or 6 times slower. It is virtually impossible to use it. Other cameras are fine.
Based on this thread, I think my NVR should playback the "transcoded stream" but it is not doing that. Do I need to enable that somehow?

As a side not, if I try to Live View the HD stream on my tablet I get the same slow motion effect but that is expected I guess??

GianniCar

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an I series NVR (DS-7716NI-I4/16P) and a 4K 8 MP camera (DS-2CD2385FWD-I). The playback on my laptop, which is hardwired to the network is fine but if I try to playback anything from the 4K camera on my tablet using Hik-Connect, the playback is in slow motion. It is 5 or 6 times slower. It is virtually impossible to use it. Other cameras are fine.
Based on this thread, I think my NVR should playback the "transcoded stream" but it is not doing that. Do I need to enable that somehow?

As a side not, if I try to Live View the HD stream on my tablet I get the same slow motion effect but that is expected I guess??
I have the same nvr, you need to forward the 8000, and the rtsp port within your router. That's what enabled the functionality of being able to select a lower quality stream during playback on the app. There's no such functionality while playing back event notifications with the app however.

Sep

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you @GianniCar. I tried it using my local network and the internal IP address of the NVR (192.168.1.105). That should not require any port forwarding. And still I had the same issue.
1) What app are you using?
2) How do you add the NVR to the app? I used "IP/Domain". It only gives me an option to configure Port 8000. There is no place to enter the RTSP port (I am using default port 554).
3) Any other suggestions?

Sep

n3wb
Reaction score
I answered my own question... and I blame HIK Connect's bad design for this confusion :);)
When in Playback mode, you must turn the tablet to portrait (hold it up vertically), then slide the menu bar at the bottom to the right and there is an "HD" button that let's you select the Playback resolution and bit rate.
I normally use my tablet in landscape mode, which does not allow you to see the full menu at the bottom so I had never seen (discovered) this button.

Thank you for your help. Hopefully this thread will help someone else.

GianniCar

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I did notice that with the app, definitely something they missed. Also, if you're running it with your hik connect account, forwarding those ports will also allow you to trigger the alarm outputs, which I have connected to my outdoor lights. Again, not relevant if you're working with a locally added device.