Remote site

safemax

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, please i need a simple solution to this problem.

i have site(warehouse) to install 7 dahua IP cameras, with 16channel POE switch but their is no office or a place where the NVR can be kept, its just a warehouse with loads of goods and the owner does not stay there, he want the NVR and the monitor to be in his remote office( about 15-20 miles away from the site) please kindly assist what solution do i need to solve this problem.
regards.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

safemax

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks but the client does not want the NVR in the warehouse for security reasons.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming you can't do a dedicated wireless bridge, you should be aware that a lot of remote access will quickly consume any data caps that may exist on the internet connections at both locations. Additionally, the warehouse would need several Mbps of upload speed to be tolerable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks but the client does not want the NVR in the warehouse for security reasons.
Thats why you install it high on the wall.. its got like what 30ft tall celling? how is a locking wall mount cabinet 15ft off the ground going to be less secure than behind a door in an office area?

If the only way to reach it is via fork lift, then just secure the fork lifts.. which should be done anyhow, as they will unload your warehouse faster if you give em access to heavy machinery.. This is how its done in these environments, if you put it even higher than the forklifts will reach and rent a cherry picker for service then nothing in the shop can reach the cabinet.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Take what I said about internet speed, and multiply it by about 10. If the NVR needs to be located remotely and accessed via the internet, you are talking about continuously streaming 7 main streams (presumably at least 2 Mbps each, and preferably a lot higher), so you'd need at minimum 14 Mbps of upload in constant use at the warehouse, and 14 Mbps down at the office. That is about 4.6 terabytes of data transfer per month, and remember, I called that a minimum ... e.g. lower quality than a typical install. Many ISPs cap their internet subscribers at around 0.25 terabytes per month.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^ this, I have comcast business costing me $150/mo and it's 20Mbit upload speeds would not be enough for 7 HD cameras.. you better have fiber optic GigE internet in your city and at your warehouse if you plan to try a remote NVR over internet.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It will be best to keep the camera traffic local to the warehouse, hence the NVR on-location. Do you know if there is line-of-sight between the warehouse and the office? That means that if you stand on the roof of the warehouse, and you had a telescope, could you see the roof of the office building? If so, you could use high-speed wireless bridges to communicate between the warehouse and office building. Outside that, you are looking at an extreme cost for the cameras to communicate with the NVR at the office. I would think the connectivity between the warehouse and the office would be your limiting factor. You need to get creative on how that will be done. It's not so much a camera/nvr/surveillance issue but a connectivity/cost issue.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats why you install it high on the wall.. its got like what 30ft tall celling? how is a locking wall mount cabinet 15ft off the ground going to be less secure than behind a door in an office area?
If the only way to reach it is via fork lift, then just secure the fork lifts.. which should be done anyhow, as they will unload your warehouse faster if you give em access to heavy machinery.. This is how its done in these environments, if you put it even higher than the forklifts will reach and rent a cherry picker for service then nothing in the shop can reach the cabinet.
^^^^^^ That! We have a remote warehouse on the back of one of our properties where we placed the NVR in a security box 25' off the ground. It is mounted in a basic black box behind a lock. This makes it stand out even less then a server cabinet with a clear front.

The customer should be able to be sold on the inconspicuous box mounted high where a cherry picker is needed to access it.
http://store.cablesplususa.com/lowprdvrstlo.html?utm_source=lowprdvrstlo&utm_medium=shopping+engine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=CJmI9-v1jM8CFdgQgQodKHMGEw

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can always get just a little creative, if its up near the celling in a warehouse it would be pretty simple to disguise it as some sort of air filter or hvac system by hooking up a few ducts and fans to it.. and it'll help keep your equipment from overheating and getting filled with warehouse grime.. use a large conduit to run the lines into the box from another point.. just make it look industrial and dust covered like everything else and not some high-tech blinking star-trek console.. nobody is going to climb up there and break into the enclosure if they expect to find an old seized up blower motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

safemax

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all, i can see streams of comments from you guys, i will discuss this with my client and get back to you guys.
thanks alot.