Remote View with Starlink

Reaction score
First of all, thank you to all the folks here who have helped me so far without even knowing it by posting so much great information on this site. I am building a new house in a remote location. I have installed 5 ip cams recently and they are up and working on Blue Iris. I currently have no internet at the site and not much for options. My plan is to get internet installed and run a dual nic setup on my BI computer.

My Starlink dishy just arrived. I was planning to pick-up an ASUS router and get openvpn going for remote viewing per the Wiki here. I stumbled upon some posts that suggested that this might not work with Starlink.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how I might setup a way to remote view BI with Starlink? I struggle a bit with the networking side so simpler is better. I try to avoid monthly charges though if I can.

Thanks in advance for this and thanks again for all the help to get me here.
Scott

jmltech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using the Blue Iris app with starlink, with zerotier on my BI server as well as my iphone and ipads. Very easy and you don’t have to remember to turn the zerotier app off or on. Just let it run in the background on your devices. It only kicks in when you try to use the IP address set for zerotier. Otherwise connections work normally.

on the BI app, enter your local lan and port number for the LAN, then enter the ZeroTier Ip address and the same port number the the WAN. When you are home and locally connected, your BI app and/or UI3 will connect normally. When you are away, when you try to connect using the BI app or UI3, zerotier will see the zerotier ip address and automatically route you to your BI server through starlink.

the only thing I haven’t been able to get to work “consistently” is the geofence.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tested ZT with to see how it would work with BI. The testing location has a wired internet bandwidth of 6 megs down and 1 meg up. On this end it is 200 Mbps down with 10 up. Had no issue with using BI to view UI3 at 2160p on a laptop.

When connecting with ZT it may be necessary to include the port number in the URL. If using BI on web server port 80 ZT would connect. However, if changed to 81 or some other port then it was necessary to add the port number to the URL. As an example, a ZT address of 172.84.18.177 (made up IP address) would not connect. But 172.84.18.177:81 would.