Remote view without ActiveX

Reaction score
My customer has about 60 remote locations. They originally had me installing Axis Companion series cameras and recorders. About 25 sites are done. This system is cloud based. The remote view was fine, the problem was with the hardware. The recorders would fail and I'd have to make long trips to replace them. Also every time I visit a site the cameras always need firmware upgrades. I consulted my ADI sales rep and asked what was the most popular brand camera system. Without hesitation he said Hikvision. I arranged a meeting with the regional Hikvision rep. He, the customers IT manager and I met for about an hour. The decision was made to switch to Hikvision. I have about 10 systems installed. Unfortunately there's now a problem with the remote view. It appears that Hikvision remote view software is based on ActiveX. The customers new operating system is not compatible with ActiveX. After a few days of phone calls and e-mails Hikvision has admitted that they can't provide a fix. The Hikvision sales rep has even recommended switching to another brand. Does anyone know of another manufacture of camera system that uses remote view software that's NOT based on ActiveX? They would go with cloud based but the fees would be cost prohibitive.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My customer has about 60 remote locations. They originally had me installing Axis Companion series cameras and recorders. About 25 sites are done. This system is cloud based. The remote view was fine, the problem was with the hardware. The recorders would fail and I'd have to make long trips to replace them. Also every time I visit a site the cameras always need firmware upgrades. I consulted my ADI sales rep and asked what was the most popular brand camera system. Without hesitation he said Hikvision. I arranged a meeting with the regional Hikvision rep. He, the customers IT manager and I met for about an hour. The decision was made to switch to Hikvision. I have about 10 systems installed. Unfortunately there's now a problem with the remote view. It appears that Hikvision remote view software is based on ActiveX. The customers new operating system is not compatible with ActiveX. After a few days of phone calls and e-mails Hikvision has admitted that they can't provide a fix. The sales rep has even recommended switching to another brand. Does anyone know of another manufacture of camera system that uses remote view software that's NOT based on ActiveX? They would go with cloud based but the fees would be cost prohibitive.
Firmware updates are a good thing not a negative.
Consider a software vms
Hik cameras no longer need a plug-in, the nvrs should be there soon if not already on newer models. I would not trust that adi salesman.

Reaction score
Firmware updates are a good thing not a negative.
Consider a software vms
Hik cameras no longer need a plug-in, the nvrs should be there soon if not already on newer models. I would not trust that adi salesman.
I just edited my original post. The sales rep suggesting another brand is the Hikvision sales rep. He understands that he's losing about $100K in business... :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just edited my original post. The sales rep suggesting another brand is the Hikvision sales rep. He understands that he's losing about $100K in business... :(
Im surprised to hear that axis recorders are failing.

Reaction score
Im surprised to hear that axis recorders are failing.
The Axis Companion series recorders are very sensitive. There's a warning that says not to attempt to move the recorder unless you first shut off the power... I think they're mechanical hard drives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The Axis Companion series recorders are very sensitive. There's a warning that says not to attempt to move the recorder unless you first shut off the power... I think they're mechanical hard drives.
All nvrs come with mechanical hard drives. That is a proper warning. Were the drives failing or the nvr itself?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also note that you can still install active x plugin on w10 systems

Reaction score
All nvrs come with mechanical hard drives. That is a proper warning. Were the drives failing or the nvr itself?
I was getting the "Red Ring of Death" as my son would call it. Also, the remote view was going off line. It would show "0" cameras for that location. I'd have to go to the office, delete and re-add the site. Sometimes I'd have to factory re-set the recorder.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I highly suggest that you look at dw ipvms which is the North American version of nxwitness pc based vms software.

Reaction score
I highly suggest that you look at dw ipvms which is the North American version of nxwitness pc based vms software.
I'll send the link to the IT manager. Just an FYI here's part of the conversation which took place...

"The issue isn’t that the installers don’t work. The issue is that we need some sort of install file that can support a silent install, as we’re trying to deploy the app through Azure environment (through Intune). The .exe file we were given has the same issues as the one on the website:
1. Despite using Install Shield to install, it does not seem to support the /s tag (for silent install).
2. If we push it anyway without a silent install, it still requires admin rights. All of the customer’s workstations have UAC enabled by default.
I tried running the new installer as a standard user on one of PCs and I still get errors:
Is there an MSI that you can provide that supports a silent install? Or some other way to access the cameras that don’t require installing an app (like a web interface)?"

Hikvision says there is no MSI file. The only option is to use I.E....