Remote viewing my ip cam

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

i know this is a bit convoluted but if from inside my LAN I am able to see my camera using my private ip plus the forwarded port, in my case 2000, my friend should be able to see my camera using Explorer, my public ip plus the forwarded port 2000. Actually he should get the web service page and enter the user and password I set up for him and then see my camera. Is that correct?

thanks,
Tubac

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes if you forwarded the port properly..

Sent via Taptalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Most cameras require you to forward two ports. One for the web server (usually port 80) and one for the video stream.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am new to port forwarding so please bear with me. A tech at SCK port forwarded my router when he helped me set up my system initially. I only had one camera at that time, the PTZ. I just checked the device that was forwarded and it seems it was my AirPort Extreme router, that is behind my Actiontec modem, not my PTZ cam although I can see this cam from my LAN when using its url plus the forwarded port on my iMac in Safari.
i am at a loss why this works on the one camera but it does. I thought to forward a port u must use the IP address of the device. is that so or do I have it wrong? Was this method ok with one cam but unworkable to view others? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tubac

Reaction score
I would like to follow this post. Having similar issue. Just installed new system, 1 camera. Can view live video on the LAN, but not on the WAN. I am able to login, but the video is just black. Do we need to Enable the Sub Stream? If so, where can that be done in Blue Iris? Not sure how to do the Port Forwarding, and we set the IP up as a Static IP. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would like to follow this post. Having similar issue. Just installed new system, 1 camera. Can view live video on the LAN, but not on the WAN. I am able to login, but the video is just black. Do we need to Enable the Sub Stream? If so, where can that be done in Blue Iris? Not sure how to do the Port Forwarding, and we set the IP up as a Static IP. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
This helped me:
http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=124

Reaction score
I have a different problem. My ISP blocks ALL ports. Here is what they said:

"While we don't block any ports for outgoing connections (connections originating from you to the Internet, for which we allow all replies for all established connections), we block ALL connections originating from the Internet to you!
This is a common practice called NAT (Network Address Translation), only in our case, we do it on a network-wide setup and not on each subscriber's individual router.
Unlike setups common by many DSL providers, your router does *not* have a public, internet-routeable IP address - so no sort of port-mapping you could do on your router will help you.
In other words, there would never be connections from the Internet to your cameras (or any other device) allowed on our network!"

So, while I do not understand all of that I get the idea. Is there ANY way to have Blue Iris accessible from a remote connection? Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but you won't like it.

Option 1: Get a different ISP ... one that provides you a public IP address and doesn't block incoming traffic.

Option 2: Rent a dedicated server or VPS somewhere and have it act as a VPN server. You should be able to find this for under $10 a month if you can work with linux. Install a robust VPN client on your Blue Iris machine and have it connect to your VPN server. This will get you a reliable two-way connection from your Blue Iris machine to a server out in a data center somewhere. Once this is set up, you can run a proxy server such as stunnel (www.stunnel.org) on your VPN server, and configure it to forward connections to Blue Iris through your VPN. That way you can enter your dedicated/virtual server's address into a browser and it will forward the connection through the VPN tunnel to your Blue Iris machine. It is a real pain in the butt to set up but once it is set up it should be easy to use.

Option 3: Install Teamviewer on the Blue Iris machine and log in through that whenever you need it. Simplest initial setup, but kind of a pain to log in through teamviewer every time you want to remotely view a camera.

Reaction score
Thanks much for the definitive answer. I can stop thrashing at it now. Just FYI, I am delighted with my 10 month experience with our new "real" Internet after 15 years of dial up and Hughesnet Satellite. I live in a rural area now being served by study group out of UC Berkely. 15mbs down AND up, no caps. VOIP phone, stream anything I want. I forgive them this closed port transgression.

I have used Chrome Remote for your option 3 but as you said, it is not the best solution. Besides logging in I have to be sure it is all set up properly before I leave.

Option 2 is probably beyond me. I looked up some cloud VPN services but it looks like they are intended to be used to access the internet via VPN as a security measure not to access one's PC remotely. But again. Thanks. Your response took one problem away.