Remote Viewing

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am having a bit of trouble setting up remote access for viewing on my iPhone. I'm currently using four Foscam IP cameras with the Blue Iris software, if that helps.

Anyone able to help me determine what I need to do?

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You need to port forward the port that the blue iris webserver is running on. OR setup VPN access.
Have you successfully been able to login while on your network?

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You need to port forward the port that the blue iris webserver is running on. OR setup VPN access.
Have you successfully been able to login while on your network?
I am able to view while at home via Blue Iris on my PC and able to view via iPhones using a Foscam app, if that's what you're asking. I'm simply trying to gain access while away from home on the iPhone.

I'll look into the VPN and port forwarding again.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Meanie My question is whether the iphone app works while you are at home...that way i can properly guide you to set it up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, the are two ways to do this...vpn or port forwarding...most folks use port forwarding though vpn is more secure...
What brand and model router do you have? who is your internet service provider?
What is your current webserver port (blue iris options>webserver tab)
Have you set your blue iris pc to a static or reserved ip address?

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, the are two ways to do this...vpn or port forwarding...most folks use port forwarding though vpn is more secure...
What brand and model router do you have? who is your internet service provider?
What is your current webserver port (blue iris options>webserver tab)
Have you set your blue iris pc to a static or reserved ip address?
Router: Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900
Model: R7000
Webserver port: 81
Did not set BI IP address option. Blue Iris is basically still at default other than camera info and controls.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, the first thing you need to do, is assign an internal static ip address to the pc running blue iris..
If you go to the webserver tab you will see an internal lan address...that is the ip address assigned by your router to the pc running blue iris with the port number (in your case 81) signified by :81
You cannot make any changes to this in blue iris as that is something set by the router...
You need to reserve the address so the router ALWAYS gives that address to your pc...
These instructions should be similar to your router...
When you get that done, we can move to the next step.

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, the first thing you need to do, is assign an internal static ip address to the pc running blue iris..
If you go to the webserver tab you will see an internal lan address...that is the ip address assigned by your router to the pc running blue iris with the port number (in your case 81) signified by :81
You cannot make any changes to this in blue iris as that is something set by the router...
You need to reserve the address so the router ALWAYS gives that address to your pc...
These instructions should be similar to your router...
When you get that done, we can move to the next step.
Ok, I added that IP address to the address reservation.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, there are there are two ways of remote viewing..if you setup a VPN then all you phone internet traffic will be router back to your home securely...if you use this option your phone will act like you are at home on your home network...
The r7000 uses open vpn..you would need to download the open vpn ios app.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23854/~/how-do-i-use-the-vpn-service-on-my-nighthawk-router-with-my-windows-client?
The other, more common, method is using port forwarding...its less secure and the video itself is passed without enctyption, but its a bit easier to deal with for some folks..
Before you port forward, instead of using port 81, change it to something higher like 8585 (remember to add :8585 after the ip address)...
Note that for port forwarding or vpn you will need to deal with a changing external ip address..let me explain.
Go to google and type in "ip address". Google will tell you your external or public ip address...The blue iris app or your vpn service always needs to know that...now unless you pay extra for static ip address, your address will change on occasion, often when you reboot your device. To get around that you can use a free service like no-ip or a paid service like dyndns, to constantly update and check your ip address. The checking or updating is done either via the router (you enter your credentials for the service you signup for) or via a desktop app that you run on your blue iris pc..most cams can be used to update as well, but its best to just let your router or pc do it.
You can create a unique address like meiniesstuff.dyndns.org and that will ALWAYS resolve you your current ip address because it is being checked and updated...so in your blue iris app in the external address box or in your vpn settings you will type in meiniesstuff.dyndns.org:8585 dont forget the port :8585 (assuming you change it from the current :81)

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will have to finish tomorrow or whenever you're around again.

Thank you very much this far.

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now, there are there are two ways of remote viewing..if you setup a VPN then all you phone internet traffic will be router back to your home securely...if you use this option your phone will act like you are at home on your home network...
The r7000 uses open vpn..you would need to download the open vpn ios app.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23854/~/how-do-i-use-the-vpn-service-on-my-nighthawk-router-with-my-windows-client?
The other, more common, method is using port forwarding...its less secure and the video itself is passed without enctyption, but its a bit easier to deal with for some folks..
Before you port forward, instead of using port 81, change it to something higher like 8585 (remember to add :8585 after the ip address)...
Note that for port forwarding or vpn you will need to deal with a changing external ip address..let me explain.
Go to google and type in "ip address". Google will tell you your external or public ip address...The blue iris app or your vpn service always needs to know that...now unless you pay extra for static ip address, your address will change on occasion, often when you reboot your device. To get around that you can use a free service like no-ip or a paid service like dyndns, to constantly update and check your ip address. The checking or updating is done either via the router (you enter your credentials for the service you signup for) or via a desktop app that you run on your blue iris pc..most cams can be used to update as well, but its best to just let your router or pc do it.
You can create a unique address like meiniesstuff.dyndns.org and that will ALWAYS resolve you your current ip address because it is being checked and updated...so in your blue iris app in the external address box or in your vpn settings you will type in meiniesstuff.dyndns.org:8585 dont forget the port :8585 (assuming you change it from the current :81)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. Life got in the way.

I have gotten to this point, but I am still unsure how to connect via the iPhone or iPad. I have download the Open VPN on the iPhone, but it is requiring some sort of login, but I haven't set one up yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you followed the instructions in the vpn video?

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, everything I did was exactly as it was shown in the video.

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to be clear I think I am having trouble with the Open VPN server. I don't see where there was information to install the server. We don't have a server on our home network. I have followed the instruction both in the video and on the router page, and everything was fine, but how do I connect from off the network.

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just read that you can't try to connect with a device that is on the network, so I tried from my phone, with wifi off, but I am unsure how to get the .ovpn file on the phone

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
by the way, I have also tried the port forwarding option. I am able to log on via the local network, but still can't log on using the port forwarding.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
by the way, I have also tried the port forwarding option. I am able to log on via the local network, but still can't log on using the port forwarding.
They you are doing something wrong...post you port forward settings on your router as well as the webserver settings in blue iris (make sure to redact only your external ip address).

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean ... make sure to redact only your external ip address...?

- - - Updated - - -

I am not using the port forwarding on the network, I am just going right to the Blue Iris Server that I set up on the Web server tab.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
post the screenshots so we can check your settings...the only thing you should remove for privacy reasons is the external ip address that is listed on the blue iris webserver page...