Reolink: Activate/deactive PIR via API?

ARI2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

my set consists of two Reolink RLC-422W and one Argus 2.
So far I am quite happy but I would really like to align these cams with the operating times of my security system:
Send a command to Reolink to activate the mail alerting (motion detection) when the alarm system turns on and deactivate the motion detection when the alarm system gets turned off.
As there is no officially documented API made public by Reolink, maybe some of you guys have an idea to achieve this goal?
Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany!

EDIT:
I just realized that the RLC-422W don't have a PIR sensor, only the Argus 2...

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
This would be to enable and disable the motion detection of the cameras themselves, not have them enable and disable a separate PIR alarm sensor, correct?

What are you using to record and view the video from the cameras?

If you install Blue Iris on a PC, and use that for your cameras, you can set up all kinds of alarms, etc., and even integrate alarm inputs and outputs from an alarm system or various sensors with the BI system. It's very powerful, and reasonably priced, IMO.

As much time as it would take to hack the Reolink software, you could have a BI system up and running and probably be very happy with all of the features it offers for many other things. It really is a bargain. Not that I don't appreciate the fun and challenge of hacking existing code to get what I want, but sometimes there's just an easier way that's so cheap I can't possibly do better, especially if I count my own time as being worth anything.

I'm getting lazier and more appreciative of others' expertise and efforts as I get older! ;)

As much as the Reolink cameras are hated on this forum, they sell a lot of them, so a lot of us ended up with some before finding this site and learning more. And Blue Iris does fine with them, so you have an inexpensive way to begin upgrading your system, and you can replace or add to the Reolink cameras as you go forward.

Of course, to be fair, you may well end up setting up a separate PC just to run Blue Iris, so you need to add that cost into the future considerations. But you can set up BI on an existing PC to start, and get a good feel for how powerful it is.

ARI2000

n3wb
Reaction score
This would be to enable and disable the motion detection of the cameras themselves, not have them enable and disable a separate PIR alarm sensor, correct?
I think the best solution would be to temporarily activate/deactivate the mail alerting.

What are you using to record and view the video from the cameras?
I have a QNAP QVR Pro station running. It's another alternative to achieve my goal but I did not figure out yet how to set the event management correctly to enable the mail alerting only in a dedicated period of time.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the best solution would be to temporarily activate/deactivate the mail alerting.

I have a QNAP QVR Pro station running. It's another alternative to achieve my goal but I did not figure out yet how to set the event management correctly to enable the mail alerting only in a dedicated period of time.
I'm not familiar with the QNAP system, but it seems like an expensive system like that should have scheduling capabilities. I'd look into that rather than using the cameras or their software to do this. It would probably be more positive and "cleaner" if you see what I mean.

Blue Iris would do exactly what you want, but I can't say how to achieve it with the QNAP system. Perhaps someone on this forum is running a QNAP system, and could help out with the details of how this is accomplished in that system. It might be worth posting a new thread with that question in the title. Something like "How to set up event scheduling in QNAP" might get the attention of someone who is running that same system. As it is, it may be that only Reolink users will see this thread, and very few will have any idea of how to access their API.