Repeatedly can't connect to remote Lorex NVR

mrdunk45

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Have had a 16 camera Lorex NVR (LNR816) installed at a vacation home in mountains - 400+ miles from my primary residence. It has worked fine (except for Dahua-Lorex buyout and switchover time) for about 3 years. However, in mid-November, I couldn't connect to NVR/cameras via Lorex Cloud - Login timeouts. Lorex support said I needed to be where cameras were installed to troubleshoot (ugh! 7 hrs away from primary residence!). I eventually went to the mountain cabin, called Lorex support and they remotely installed new software, and all was fine. I returned to my primary residence, and could monitor cameras via NVR as before.
However, for the last 2 or 3 days, I'm now experiencing the same issue! I'll call Lorex support but will likely get the same answer.

Any ideas as to what's causing this? Automatic software updates?
Don't have the greatest internet upload speed, perhaps 1-1.5 Mbps (but that has been the same for a long time). Would port forwarding/DDNS help as Lorex suggests for upload speeds <1.5Mbps.
Lorex never really says what went wrong...just wants me to be a remote location where NVR is installed. I'm getting frustrated with this.

Thanks in advance

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
Have had a 16 camera Lorex NVR (LNR816) installed at a vacation home in mountains - 400+ miles from my primary residence. It has worked fine (except for Dahua-Lorex buyout and switchover time) for about 3 years. However, in mid-November, I couldn't connect to NVR/cameras via Lorex Cloud - Login timeouts. Lorex support said I needed to be where cameras were installed to troubleshoot (ugh! 7 hrs away from primary residence!). I eventually went to the mountain cabin, called Lorex support and they remotely installed new software, and all was fine. I returned to my primary residence, and could monitor cameras via NVR as before.
However, for the last 2 or 3 days, I'm now experiencing the same issue! I'll call Lorex support but will likely get the same answer.

Any ideas as to what's causing this? Automatic software updates?
Don't have the greatest internet upload speed, perhaps 1-1.5 Mbps (but that has been the same for a long time). Would port forwarding/DDNS help as Lorex suggests for upload speeds <1.5Mbps.
Lorex never really says what went wrong...just wants me to be a remote location where NVR is installed. I'm getting frustrated with this.

Thanks in advance
Welcome @mrdunk45

Port forwarding is a very bad idea.

Do you have a PC at the vacation home?
Can you remote to the PC?

mrdunk45

n3wb
Reaction score
No, I don't currently have a pc setup, but could do so if that's part of a reliable solution. (I can connect to a temperature monitoring system and my wifi thermostat, so that verifies that the internet to the vacation cabin is still ok).
Thanks.