Replace Clear Plastic Dome?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a Hik DS-2CD2532F-I that has been sitting in the morning sun for about 5 years now and I recently noticed some hazing (almost looks like stress cracks) in part of the clear plastic dome. I tried cleaning it, thinking it was condensation or something on the inside and that is when I noticed it. It doesn't really affect the picture during the day, but it looks blotchy at night

I am thinking it is from UV, but in any case, has anyone ever replaced these domes or have a good source for them?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking it is from UV, but in any case, has anyone ever replaced these domes or have a good source for them?
A few months back I replaced damaged domes on 4 of those model of cameras that I'd bought on Gumtree with some new domes that I was pretty happy with.
I'd tried the usual ultra-fine abrasive paper and polishing compound, but despite polishing out the haze and scratches, the night-time image quality was still poor.

The replacement domes were an almost perfect fit - just about 2mm higher than the original, which would have left a small gap between the inside of the dome and the foam ring on the lens.
This could have been dealt with by moving the foam ring up a little - but what I did was to replace the 1mm o-ring seal at the base of the dome with a 2mm o-ring.

Here is a link to the Aliexpress store where I bought the Model Number: JMX-02CL domes :
US $6.85 |JMX 2 INCH Acrylic Indoor / Outdoor CCTV Clear Camera Dome Cover IP Camera Dome Housing-in CCTV Camera Housings from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Did some googling around and I see that JMX sells these domes directly on Amazon (along with eBay, etc) for the same price as AliBaba.
Yes, the same over here in the UK.
I don't remember why I opted to buy on Aliexpress, there may have been a 0.1% price difference.
I like that they give a good dimensional drawing, it gave a good level of confidence they would fit.
And even do one in inches for their US market ...

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Received the new dome. Fit's great with the exception that it is actually a little bit taller as alastairstevenson noted. Don't see it being an issue and besides, there are not a whole lot of choices.

I did manage to take a pic of the old dome. It actually looks pretty good when you look at it on the camera, but when the light hits it just right, you can see what looks like stress fracture cracks or something similar. So if your video looks a little cloudy, maybe check out the dome. Again - this camera faces east into the morning sun and it's just over 4 years old
GR8II-184.jpg