Replace failed analog license plate reader

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to replace a License Plate Reader. The current one is analog. It connects to an Axis Analog to IP converter, then to a Milestone server via a cable modem. I would like to get an analog option as well as an option for an IP cam. The camera is mounted about 10' up on a pole.
The info I can get from the camera:InexZamir, Watec Auto Iris.
Lens: 5.0-50mm 1:1.4, 1.3CCTV CS Aspherical
TIA!
John

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just ordered a dahua 4mp box camera for LPR that would be a drop in replacement for that, but I only found it in PAL and didnt care about the analogue output so you might not be happy with that.

unfortunately I got told it'll be a while before I see my camera so cant say for sure, but the price was good @ $180 shipped: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hf5421e-1004.html

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just ordered a dahua 4mp box camera for LPR that would be a drop in replacement for that, but I only found it in PAL and didnt care about the analogue output so you might not be happy with that.

unfortunately I got told it'll be a while before I see my camera so cant say for sure, but the price was good @ $180 shipped: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hf5421e-1004.html
That looks like the exact product I am looking for! The way I read it's specs, it can provide a digital or analog stream, it has a crazy fast shutter speed, ultra low lux requirements (I think there are street lights at this location anyway), I don't see any higher rated camera on their site of this type.

What kind of info did you get about the shipping delay? Where did you order from?

Thanks!
John

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered it from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DAHUA-4MP-Full-HD-Network-Box-Camera-with-Alarm-and-POE-Original-English-Version-without-Logo/32433565308.html
it does not come with a lens but the one you have already should work fine.. might have to clean that paint marker off cause I doubt the'll be any use on the new cam.

they did not have any in stock so had to get them upstream, so I am looking at about a month out in all likelyhood.. and thats about par for alot of these kind of things.

perhaps they can get you an NTSC version, I did not inquire as I'll never plug anything into the bnc output.. It should have the same sensor as there other 4MP cameras and they are pretty freaking impressive.. so I have very high hopes for its performance.. our low light wont be quite up to spec with us both using F1.4 lenses as those are ratings were for F1.2 but it should still be very good.

I think these models are just becoming avilable and they are cheap just to get ratings up, I suspect when everyone has em in stock the'll be in the mid $200 range for individual/small orders like other comparable models.

Last edited by a moderator:

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered it from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DAHUA-4MP-Full-HD-Network-Box-Camera-with-Alarm-and-POE-Original-English-Version-without-Logo/32433565308.html
it does not come with a lens but the one you have already should work fine.. might have to clean that paint marker off cause I doubt the'll be any use on the new cam.

they did not have any in stock so had to get them upstream, so I am looking at about a month out in all likelyhood.. and thats about par for alot of these kind of things.

perhaps they can get you an NTSC version, I did not inquire as I'll never plug anything into the bnc output.. It should have the same sensor as there other 4MP cameras and they are pretty freaking impressive.. so I have very high hopes for its performance.. our low light wont be quite up to spec with us both using F1.4 lenses as those are ratings were for F1.2 but it should still be very good.

I think these models are just becoming avilable and they are cheap just to get ratings up, I suspect when everyone has em in stock the'll be in the mid $200 range for individual/small orders like other comparable models.
Thanks again for the additional information. I sent them a message about NTSC. Hopefully Lin Lin responds soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again for the additional information. I sent them a message about NTSC. Hopefully Lin Lin responds soon.
She is fast! She replied while I was typing that last post. She doesn't have NTSC.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that sucks, looking at Dahua's US website they dont have any box cameras showing up which is not good for finding NTSC cams.. how critical is that analouge output to your deployment?

they make PAL to NTSC converters but I dont know how well those work in practice or if you could even use it.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that sucks, looking at Dahua's US website they dont have any box cameras showing up which is not good for finding NTSC cams.. how critical is that analouge output to your deployment?
Dropping analog probably means I might have to pull a network cable through a 20ft conduit and then up the pole the cameras are mounted on. I wish I had the model number for the Acti analog to IP converter. Their listed models all handle both. However, I didn't get the model off of the one that is installed and I can't seem to find a 2 channel old stock described online. https://www.winncom.com/en/products/f-109-247/analog-video-to-ip-converters
http://www.acti.com/corpweb/Tools/ProductSelector/VideoEncoders.aspx?spec=Video%20Encoder

pic of installed converter in full res.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if it can handle pal then you should be good, there is a very good chance it can.. but I would dbl check before pulling the trigger.

the acti is likely doing the LPR, so you probably gotta work with it.. but you might consider pulling a cable anyhow and exposing the 4MP feed to the network, show the customer the image difference and the'll probably be happy with the changes.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if it can handle pal then you should be good, there is a very good chance it can.. but I would dbl check before pulling the trigger.

the acti is likely doing the LPR, so you probably gotta work with it.. but you might consider pulling a cable anyhow and exposing the 4MP feed to the network, show the customer the image difference and the'll probably be happy with the changes.
I agree that it looks very likely based on the specs of the other Acti models. I may see if Acti can help me ID the converter tomorrow. I am guessing I will be routed through a reseller though.

I need to get some more info and then email Ubiquiti before I go back for an update.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @nayr, Any luck with shipment on the camera you recommended above?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was told earlier this week that it should head my way sometime around the 18th.. hopefully with some pretty prompt shipping.. so about a week out.

in comparison I ordered a 6-60mm lens much like yours at the same time I placed the this order, it should be here in a few days.. just went through US Port of Entry yesterday.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you want, contact milkisbad on here for an LTS/Hikvision ip box cam.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was told earlier this week that it should head my way sometime around the 18th.. hopefully with some pretty prompt shipping.. so about a week out.

in comparison I ordered a 6-60mm lens much like yours at the same time I placed the this order, it should be here in a few days.. just went through US Port of Entry yesterday.
I just asked Lin Lin if she could ship soon. I am ready to order. She wanted to make sure I could work with the PAL signal. I told her the ACTi IP encoder it would be connected to accepts PAL and NTSC. She replied
Originally yes but dahua makes some difference on the hardware to prevent them to be sold to american area.
I am not sure what changes could be in place that would cause issues with either analog or IP. She hasn't responded to this question - I guess it is night over there. Any ideas?

I will contact Milkisbad to see what he suggests.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr I just received my camera. It looks to have firmware that is 40 days new.

Software Version 2.400.0000.26.R, Build Date: 2016-02-19
WEB Version 3.2.1.325845
ONVIF Version 2.4.2
S/N

I logged right in with admin/admin after finding the IP on my dhcp client list.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
awesome, mine will be here this week.. we shipped same time but I omitted to buy the faster shipping after my first order got canceled.. wondered why the price was a few dollars cheaper, then realized my mistake when it was too late.

so what do you think? first impressions are hard to beat.