Replace Hikvision 4k colorvu with Dahua Dual Lense because of night?

memme

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just installed a Hikvision DS-2CD2087G2 (Colorvu 4k) and I was pretty overhelmed by the image at night.
UNTIL the last street lamp switched off. No other light source. So the image fade to full black. Nothing to see anymore.
I don't like to have the camera LED shining all night.
So the camera seems to be absolutely useless now.

Then I noticed the Review thread of Dahua IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE-D2 that has a IR view implemented including the Full Color option and both mixed into one image.
Won't that fill the lack of the Hikvision?

Then I noticed about the new Dahua Full Color Smart Illuminators Series. It has a IR that runs all night and when the cam detects movement it activates the LED to have full color.
But the best model of this series is just a 4MP IPC-HFW2449S-S-IL. I am not sure if the quality can compete with the Hikvision I have currently installed.

I have motion detection powered floodlight installed that activates when a intruder is detected so the hikvision can deliver a acceptable image at night. But for my understanding its not great to rely on the motion detection of a floodlight in terms of security.

Is the Dahua AI as good as Hikvision in detecting Humans/Vehicles to avoid false alerts?

So what to do now? Whats your thoughts?

Thank you very much.

[edit]
The Hikvision was a test run. Need to install a total of 10 cameras. So this is a big decicsion for me before I spent a lot of money on these cams.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 4K/X is the most popular 1/1.2" camera and doesn't seem to get as many complaints about quality at night as the other "full color" type cameras like the Hikvision you have.

Do a search here. Many have not been impressed with the Hikvision ColorVu series. Keep in mind that any camera called "full color" or "night color", etc. still require light. They are not magic and do not defy physics. Many people have come here after buying the Hikvision ColorVu series expressing their disappointment in the picture quality of the camera because they were expecting magic. If you do not have ambient light outside, you are better off with cameras that can see infrared. Further, it's onboard white LED lights are not as bright as the 4K/X. There seems to be more complaints about the Hik version at night than the 4K/X.

If you do not have ambient light or do not want to run the white LEDs, then you need a camera with infrared capabilities.

Sensor size is more important than MP.

The camera you have is 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor, wheras the Dahua camera you referenced is 4MP on a 1/3" sensor, so it will perform a lot worse at night than the Hikvision.

You really need to decide if you want to run lights on or go B/W with infrared.

You are correct, relying on a motion activated light can momentarily blind the camera and you miss the clean capture of a perp.

Here is usually what happens when a motion activated floodlight comes on - it just about completely blinds the camera right at the moment of optimal opportunity to get the picture. There are 3 deer in this picture and two of them are lost in the blinded white while the camera's exposure adjusts to the rapid change in available light:

1649380885121.png

The AI in the Dahua cams are rock solid.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
8MP Review

memme

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there something like the 4K/X with dual lense? So it can be combined with a IR lense?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You generally have to use A LOT of ambient light to run full color at night to be able to capture motion with no blur. I have a street light in front of my house plus I run two sconce lights with very bright LED bulbs to illuminate my driveway so I can run the camera in full color at night. My sconce lights are on a smart switch so they come on automatically at sunset and turn off the same at sunrise. This makes sure I always have enough ambient light to run that driveway camera in color mode.

If you cant flood the area you need with ambient light, you’d be better to just run BW with IR.